mulching blades cut lower than high lift blades

pfleming

Threads
Ok guys, I have a question that I hope doesn't turn out to be a dumb one. I recently replaced a set of regular high lift flat blades with a set of mulching blades on my 1998 Murray 42" rider. Initially I noticed that the replacement blades seemed to be a little longer, but I just chalked it up to the fact that the old blades were worn out. When I started to cut with the new blades on, I noticed the mower was cutting lower on the same setting that I normally used than it used to. I've tried to re-level the deck and all the normal stuff, I even went as far as to make a tool so I could check the blade height to the ground (I have a 30x50 shop with a concrete floor, so it should be fairly level), and the blades are about as close to the same height on each side of the deck as you can ask. Has anyone run into a situation where flat blades and mulching blades cut at different heights without moving the deck?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You bought the wrong blades. You need the blades for what is called a deep deck.

The mulching blades should cut at the same level as your high lift blades.

Not every Murray takes the same blades.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

pfleming

Threads
After doing a little more research on here last night, I ran across a post about blades, and was kind of leaning in the "wrong blade" direction. The light at the end of the tunnel is that I now have a really neat little tool to measure the blade height on both sides of the mower :thumbsup:

pfleming

Threads
Well, I picked up a new set of blades at Lowe's after work today and put them on before heading out to cut the grass. When I put the first one on and turned the blades so the tips lined up, the mulching blade was actually about 1/4" higher than the flat blade I just bought. I went ahead and put on the other blade and went out to see how they'd do. I used to mow with the deck height on #3, today I mowed on #4 and it cut a little shorter than I wanted. I went through the deck leveling procedure (as best as I can remember it), but it didn't seem to change anything. Does anyone happen to know or have a copy of the deck leveling procedure for an older Murray? HELP!!!!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put one of the old blades on and see how it lines up

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Mikel1

Threads
Open black cover under lift lever, move lift lever to level adjustment position. Loosen left and right adjuster knobs, push down on each side of mower housing. Make sure lift links are loose and can be move up or down easily. Push down on the lift links and tighten adjuster knob on each side. I used to have one(either 98 or 99) and still have the manual for it and the engine.

pfleming

Threads
Carscw, that's my next move. I just can't figure out why, after all these years, I have to mow at #4 when I've never had to before. I don't remember hitting anything that could have bent the linkage or anything. There doesn't seem to be anything keeping the blades from completely seating on the towers. I did notice when I leveled the deck again (using the exact procedure as above, except I removed the deck wheels, just like I have for the past 15 years) that the deck wasn't sitting on the ground all the way across the bottom of the deck, almost like it was warped or something. I also noticed that the position of the adjustment bolts washer on the left side wasn't the same as the right, is that normal? Should they be in about the same place, in accordance with where the washer sits in the bolt slot? I can tell from the cut that something isn't just right with the alignment of the deck, but I just can't put my finger on it. One side seems to be cutting a hair lower than the other and the deck wheel on the right side is flat across it while the left one isn't. I have a JD L130 that I need a couple of parts on to get it going, but when I do, I can mow with it while I take the Murray out of service to figure out what's going on. This is so frustrating, because I know how good this mower used to cut!

pfleming

Threads
Just a quick update on this one guys. I decided to put the original blades back on the mower (after sharpening them, of course) and seeing how it would cut with those on, while under the deck, I noticed a clump of what seemed to be yard debris around one of the spindles. I went to remove the debris, and it turned out to be the remnants of a sweat towel that I had accidentally run over a few months ago. Apparently, when I changed the blades, the spacer had dropped down enough for a little of the towel to get under the spacer and therefore the blade on that side was cutting lower than the other side. after cleaning everything out from under the deck, I put the blades back on and rechecked the cut. Back to normal :0)

Threads
Just a quick update on this one guys. I decided to put the original blades back on the mower (after sharpening them, of course) and seeing how it would cut with those on, while under the deck, I noticed a clump of what seemed to be yard debris around one of the spindles. I went to remove the debris, and it turned out to be the remnants of a sweat towel that I had accidentally run over a few months ago. Apparently, when I changed the blades, the spacer had dropped down enough for a little of the towel to get under the spacer and therefore the blade on that side was cutting lower than the other side. after cleaning everything out from under the deck, I put the blades back on and rechecked the cut. Back to normal :0)

I don't think any of us would have guessed that! :tongue:

pfleming

Threads
Yep.....apparently neither did I :confused2: