Honda HRX needs tachometer adjustment from factory?

Kraymerica

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All,
I have been looking for a new lawn mower and came down to the Honda HRX vs the Toro Super Recycler. Was leaning towards the Honda HRX and went to a local small engine store to look at their inventory. The salesman told me the Honda mower came underclocked from the factory and they have to hook it up to a tachometer and adjust the engine in order for it to run at optimal RPM's for mulching, cutting, etc.
They sell the HRX with blade brake for $729.99, no discounts or sales. I can get the same model at home depot for $699.99 and also get a 10% military discount there, so about $100 difference between the small local store and big box home depot. The salesman said I could buy the mower from Home Depot but wouldn't like it as it wouldn't cut right.

My question is does this make sense or is the salesman just blowing smoke? Is it worth $100 price difference to get the engine tuned up right out of the box?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Threads
If my dealer did it, I never heard about it. :confused: Some dealers will match the Home Depot price, if you want to get it cheaper but want the service of a dealer.

I moved your thread to the Honda Forum. :smile:

Kraymerica

Forum Newbie
Threads
I asked if they would match price and they would not. The salesmen told me I could buy it for cheaper at Home Depot but would not be happy with it, so that is why I was wondering if it was just a sales tactic. I try and give the local small businesses my business more than the big box stores, but $100 is $100.

Threads
I asked if they would match price and they would not. The salesmen told me I could buy it for cheaper at Home Depot but would not be happy with it, so that is why I was wondering if it was just a sales tactic. I try and give the local small businesses my business more than the big box stores, but $100 is $100.

Someone on here works for Honda...his response will be helpful to you before you buy.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just like a car a lawnmower needs to have a PDI.

When mowers are unpacked and started they usually run at low RPM due to emission test.

Dealers tweek the RPM and make sure everything is running as it should.

I still dont know why dealers discount to compete wiyh stores??

GregGA

Threads
Just like a car a lawnmower needs to have a PDI.

When mowers are unpacked and started they usually run at low RPM due to emission test.

Dealers tweek the RPM and make sure everything is running as it should.

I still dont know why dealers discount to compete wiyh stores??

HOGWASH!! Run, don't walk from that "dealer" and use your discount at Home Depot.

I purchased my HRX217VKA at Home Depot. Per my tach/hour meter it runs at 3060 RPM. Per the Honda manual, which I purchased, the maximum governed speed is 2950-3100 RPM.

I'm sorry some of these guys can't compete with HD, but try to sell after sale service, or something other than Lie.

P.S. I LOVE my HRX

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not hogwash but all true.

9 out of 10 a mower out of a box will need adjusted. Tractors are the worst.

Why should I (dealers) compete with big box stores. If you compete with BBS its only the bank manager that is happy as they see turnover but the dealer is out as they are not making profit.

As soon as they compete with me as a dealer for service then I will compete with them for price.

PS HRX worst mower ever made :laughing:

GregGA

Threads
Not hogwash but all true.

9 out of 10 a mower out of a box will need adjusted. Tractors are the worst.

Why should I (dealers) compete with big box stores. If you compete with BBS its only the bank manager that is happy as they see turnover but the dealer is out as they are not making profit.

As soon as they compete with me as a dealer for service then I will compete with them for price.

PS HRX worst mower ever made :laughing:

Too bad you are in Scotland. We could use some Master Technicians over here. In the mean time, I will use a factory shop manual and do my own "service"

"Worst mower ever made" just hurts your credibility. I said I love my HRX. Didn't say it was the "best mower ever made."

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Too bad you are in Scotland. We could use some Master Technicians over here. In the mean time, I will use a factory shop manual and do my own "service"

"Worst mower ever made" just hurts your credibility. I said I love my HRX. Didn't say it was the "best mower ever made."

If you can get a manual for it. Honda dont usually give manuals out to easy.

No credibility lost. My customer only buy what i think suits their needs and budget.
I have supplied HRX not because i sold it but because the customer wanted it in the past but i only seem to get reliability problems from chinese crap and honda.