Help Kohler 25 hp on scag will not start.

jeffa

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 25 hp Kohler command pro engine on a scag mower. Washed it the other day and after done would not start. When I would turn the key i would just get a clicking sound from starter area. I was thinking i had blown something loose etc. I checked all the safety switches and they seemed fine. Put a meter on solenoid and got 12.4 volts. Jumped across solenoid and it made the same clicking sound as when i tried to start with the keyswitch. Took starter/ solenoid out and hooked a jumper pack to it. It turns fast and freely when connected to the power stud, when i jump to the post for the keyswitch wire the bendix engages fine. I put the starter back on and same thing. I can manually turn the engine, so I know it not locked up. Any ideas

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like the first thing is to remove and wire brush all of your battery connections, and reinstall and make sure everything is tight.

jeffa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like the first thing is to remove and wire brush all of your battery connections, and reinstall and make sure everything is tight.

Tried that last night after i posted. Thanks

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hosing a machine with water is not recommended. There may be water in places like the keyswitch and electrical connectors that may be causing your problem. My initial feeling was that you should check the grounds on the machine particularly the ground wires on the engine mounting bolt and the battery. There is a start circuit relay under the panel near the keyswitch that is not waterproof.
Mad Mackie in CT

jeffa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hosing a machine with water is not recommended. There may be water in places like the keyswitch and electrical connectors that may be causing your problem. My initial feeling was that you should check the grounds on the machine particularly the ground wires on the engine mounting bolt and the battery. There is a start circuit relay under the panel near the keyswitch that is not waterproof.
Mad Mackie in CT

I Just found it. I grounded the starter directly to the battery and turned over. So i grounded to engine and it also worked which told me my ground from starter to engine is fine. Traced to ground from battery to frame and bolt was broken but wedged in tight enough that it was getting some ground but not enough. Break in bolt looked like it had been a while ago so probably knocked loose when sprayed off. This may be the answer to why my battery is not charging real well also. Thanks for the reply..

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, the clicking when cranking usually indicates a poor connection in the main cable circuit.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi jeffa and group,
The ground terminals on the engine mounting bolt are a more common problem than most realize. Last March I repowered my Scag Tiger Cub and replaced all the connectors on the mounting bolt and installed a flat washer under the bolt head and held the bolt from turning with a box wrench as I tightened the nut underneath. I always recheck this bolt after a while as new copper terminals can compress in time and cause the bolt to become loose.
Part of my troubleshooting stuff is a plastic spray bottle with plain water and I spray directly at places like the ground connectors when I suspect a problem.
The entire electrical system particularly the charging system and the electric clutch are affected by a poor ground.
In the brand specific section on this forum is a Scag thread and you may want to check there for more specific Scag info.
Mad Mackie in CT

Muzzer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Possible solution for No Start on SCAG Liberty Z model

If you have exposed your mower to water either by washing or leaving it out in the rain you may find the unit will not start.

Symptom. 1 no start
2 audible click from the starter motor
3 plenty of power at the battery and terminals for starter solenoid

The problem as I assess it is in the mounting of the starter motor. It is vertical in relation to the toothed ring and water can get into the pinion and rust the unit.

Even the slightest bit of surface rust is enough to prevent the solenoid throwing out the pin and cranking the engine.

Solution:

1 Site mower on firm level ground
2 When working on the unit consider if you need the key in the ignition after assessing voltage
3 Use a multi-meter to check battery, you are looking for 12v DC or better
4 If battery is ok then remove the plastic mesh guard from the top of the engine by popping up the three plastic plugs
5 Remove the three Hex head screws on the vented cover, (top tip is to replace them once the cover is off)
6 Remove the bolts from around the base of the plastic engine cover
7 Locate the starter motor at the 11 o'clock position when viewing the engine from the rear
8 Assess unit for rust, use WD40 and a soft wire brush to free the return spring and head
9 Continue to apply WD40 or a penetrating oil to the shaft area on the starter motor (DO NOT USE A RUST CONVERTER UNLESS YOU WANT TO BUY A NEW UNIT)
10 You may need to GENTLY tap the base of the starter motor until you can get the pinion free
11 Once the pinion lifts and returns freely you can attempt to start the engine. (SAFETY WARNING, REMEMBER THE COVER IS OFF THE ENGINE. KEEP WELL CLEAR OF ANY MOVING PARTS)
12 If your engine now starts make the engine safe by removing the key and apply a small amount of WD40 to the starter head and a small amount of grease around the base of the shaft
13 Start and stop the engine a few times to allow the grease to work in.
14 Replace all the parts you removed in the reverse order you took them off
15 Should the unit get wet in the future, run the engine at the earliest opportunity for long enough for the heat to remove any moisture.
16 Store your mower undercover or as a minimum use a tarp to protect from the elements

Good luck gents

Kind regards

Muzzer

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And do yourself a big favour .
Get a can or tube of liquid electrical tape.
After you have clenad all of the wire connections & done them up tight coat liberally with the paint .
It will both stop water getting to the differnt metals and causing galvanic corrosion and also prevent nuts for coming loose