Engine john Deere 445

kozy01

Threads
I have a problem wonder if anyone can answer this. I have a john Deere 445 tractor with a 22 hp Kawasaki v twin. When I start the mower the starter continues to run as the engine does!? Until I shut the key off I double and triple checked all connections, removed and re installed the starter still does it. I have no idea what else to do.

ForumRunner_20130817_103242.png

ForumRunner_20130817_103242.png

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From what you are posting, I suspect a bad key switch.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will second the bad key switch.

While it is running tap on the switch and see what it does.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

BBO

Threads
When I start the mower the starter continues to run as the engine does!? Until I shut the key off

It could be a bad solenoid but more that likely the switch as suggested.
If you know how to turn the key to the on position then short out the solenoid this would confirm.
The key should only energize the solenoid when held in the start position.

It could even be the starter (or the bendix) sticking, unless you are sure it is actually remaining energized.

You for sure need to find & fix this problem before it damages the flywheel and the starter.

kozy01

Threads
I'm going to order this 115 dollar key switch module today I really hope this does the trick because the starter is almost 400 dollars.

BBO

Threads
I'm going to order this 115 dollar key switch module today I really hope this does the trick because the starter is almost 400 dollars.

Wow. This does not have a $25 switch like some mowers... It's a "Ignition Kit" and the parts page(s) is confusing to me.
Be careful because the correct one may be serial number dependent and the newer one does not even show a part number for the "kit". ??

The older style (pre 70000 s/n) might be a # AM136681. $ 109.96 from GFP
The newer one shows the module only # AM128878 and looks like it does not include the actual switch.
Yet the picture on the GFP website looks like it DOES include the switch. (Same price)
John Deere Parts Online at Discount Prices from Green Farm Parts
You should ask some questions if you have not already...

But before you order anything I would suggest you make sure this is where the problem really is.

Look at the pdf and advise which s/n group yours is, if you need more troubleshooting info.

For the part, E-Bay is also a possibility if you are felling really lucky...

Attachments

• 445_Cranking_434-436.pdf
    67.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

kozy01

Threads
It's actually the 8000 serial number this tractor is junk I hate this expensive kawajunk engine

ForumRunner_20130821_063421.png

BBO

Threads
It's actually the 8000 serial number this tractor is junk I hate this expensive kawajunk engine

Hail, just go trade it in for a new mower...