Final decision on commercial lawn mower

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey everyone,

The time has come for me to buy my commercial lawn mower. I looked everywhere and red a lot of info on different models. I also looked at the other guy's trailer around town hauling mowing equipment. It all boiled down to Toro. Now, I didn't want a cheap Toro nor a too heavy one, so my mind is put on the Toro 22156. The reason of my decision is that I have the same mower at home made by lawn boy for residential use. It even has the sens-a-speed wich is really great! Now, I just wanted to get some feedback or links to reviews on this mower before I spend a lot of money on something that will last me a long time. The reason why I didn't go with any other company like Ex-mark is that there isn't much around where I live. The closest shops sell Honda and Toro mainly and I didn't want the heavy Toro commercial mower, because it would be a pain to put in my truck bed and mow my yards that are sometimes very tricky. I needed something agile and not too heavy, but could take some abuse.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey everyone,

The time has come for me to buy my commercial lawn mower. I looked everywhere and red a lot of info on different models. I also looked at the other guy's trailer around town hauling mowing equipment. It all boiled down to Toro. Now, I didn't want a cheap Toro nor a too heavy one, so my mind is put on the Toro 22156. The reason of my decision is that I have the same mower at home made by lawn boy for residential use. It even has the sens-a-speed wich is really great! Now, I just wanted to get some feedback or links to reviews on this mower before I spend a lot of money on something that will last me a long time. The reason why I didn't go with any other company like Ex-mark is that there isn't much around where I live. The closest shops sell Honda and Toro mainly and I didn't want the heavy Toro commercial mower, because it would be a pain to put in my truck bed and mow my yards that are sometimes very tricky. I needed something agile and not too heavy, but could take some abuse.

If your going to buy the Toro Buy the 22198. It's just my opinion but you'll get more mower. The advantages with the 22198 are you get a 1gallon fuel capacity rather than 0.29, it also runs a Blade tip speed of 18000 not 17000, it has the blade brake control which after using the one on my Turfmaster I wouldn't be without, it also has three speed rear drive wheels and runs 4.2mph not 3.1 and the big plus is the Kawasaki FJ 180 KAI engine. You may want to take a look at the 22197 it's the same mower but without the Blade Brake Control. I can tell you this, I have and run both of those engines the Honda 190cc and the Kawasaki FJ 180 KAI and the Honda although a good engine isn't half the engine of the Kawasaki. The Kawasaki will absolutely blow the Honda away and it's running on a twin blade 30" cut 167 lb mower not a 21" 89 lb single blade mower.

Threads
I would NOT get the 22156 because it can only go 3 mph compared to over 4 mph for the 22198, plus there is no variable-speed drive. Also there is no BBC on it. :thumbdown:

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have considered the 22198, but the problem is tbat it weighs much more and it is more expensive. I know it must be a very good lawn mower. Weigh is an important factor, because I load my mowers in my truck with a ramp and I have some very tricky yards where you have to wiggke around everything. I will still think about it. I wonder if I could try it at the store.

Threads
I have considered the 22198, but the problem is tbat it weighs much more and it is more expensive. I know it must be a very good lawn mower. Weigh is an important factor, because I load my mowers in my truck with a ramp and I have some very tricky yards where you have to wiggke around everything. I will still think about it. I wonder if I could try it at the store.

If they want your business you should be able to demo it, even at home.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do hope so.
I am really puzzled in between the two models

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have considered the 22198, but the problem is that it weighs much more and it is more expensive. I know it must be a very good lawn mower. Weigh is an important factor, because I load my mowers in my truck with a ramp and I have some very tricky yards where you have to wiggle around everything. I will still think about it. I wonder if I could try it at the store.

If you are using a ramp the weight difference shouldn't matter that much where the truck is concerned and as far as mowing goes it will be anything else you have, it will take a little time to get use to. I thought the same thing when I purchased the Turf master at 167lbs but now that I've been using it there's not that much different than any other push mower and the fact that it's a 22" and not the 30" will help you out a lot. Like I said, I like the 1gallon fuel capacity rather than 0.29, that feature alone is a time saver and will increase your productivity, and it runs a Blade tip speed of 18000 not 17000 and I know there's not that much difference between the number but when you use it you'll know the difference and the (BBC) Blade brake clutch will spoil the heck out of you and again will be a big increase in your productivity. The thing is yes you'll spend a little extra money but you'll find it to be well worth the extra and stop and think about something else that not many people think about, it's called resale value, the mower will bring you back a lot more money if you ever want out of the business than the other mower, the Kawasaki engine alone will improve the resale. As far as I'm concerned the 22198 is a win win.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
You my man should be a car salesman! You really seem to have the abilities to sell whatever you think someone should buy! :thumbsup:

I see that the 22198 has many likes around here as opposed to the 22156. So, what I am going to do, is wait a little bit and try and buy a Toro 22198 on sell. It is only logical that stores put there mowers on sale right before winter to get rid of them to let the new stock come in the next year. I also see that I have four options of the commercial lawn mower 22198. The differences seem to be that two models have the Honda GSV160 and two of the mowers have the BBC. I guess I will be going with the 22198 with all the bells and whistles.:smile:

I would like to thank you guys for your time in helping me take my final decision. I will let you know once I get my commercial lawn mower.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
You my man should be a car salesman! You really seem to have the abilities to sell whatever you think someone should buy! :thumbsup:

I see that the 22198 has many likes around here as opposed to the 22156. So, what I am going to do, is wait a little bit and try and buy a Toro 22198 on sell. It is only logical that stores put there mowers on sale right before winter to get rid of them to let the new stock come in the next year. I also see that I have four options of the commercial lawn mower 22198. The differences seem to be that two models have the Honda GSV160 and two of the mowers have the BBC. I guess I will be going with the 22198 with all the bells and whistles.:smile:

I would like to thank you guys for your time in helping me take my final decision. I will let you know once I get my commercial lawn mower.

Well I've been told by more than one person I could sell Ice to an Eskimo, but I don't think that's the case. I try to point out what I think are the advantages of one type over another keeping in mind what would benefit me as a user. The thing is the 22198 is basically a smaller version of the Turf Master and what sold me was the Kawaski KAI engine. Honda says there engine on the 22156 is a commercial grade and personally I don't believe it is, I think it's just a glorified residential version. They Honda claims it's forced lubrication, now if it is where's the oil pump? Where's the Oil filter? Neither are listed on the spec sheet for the engine because there not there, at least I can't find an oil filter any where on the Honda, but the Kawasaki FJ 180 KAI has both and are just a couple of selling points for the 22198 and that will improve the longevity of the mower. The things the mower 22198 has will save you time and improve your productivity, you make more money, the mower will pay for it self. No I'm not selling you a mower, The mower sells itself because it's a better product than the 22156.