still over revs

bigriggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a b&s 17.5 intek that still over revs when controlling manually what could it be

Justlawns

Threads
Does it sound like its screaming? Check your governor spring

bigriggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
No not screaming as in sound wise but as in motor rpm yes.the spring shouldn't matter if your controlling it by hand on the carburetor

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take off your air filter assembly and look down the throat of the carb. I have seen several of these engines lose their throttle plate screws
and the plate falls out of place and it runs wild, as that is what controls your speed.

bigriggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
All the plates are intact and function properly

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
So while running, you can move the gov. linkage and get it to slow down by hand?

Post your engine's model numbers so we know what you have.

bigriggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model # 31g777 the rpm remains the same when controlling the governor by hand. Would the governor gear still effect the rpm if it is bad? Just trying to do some trouble shooting to see if I have to rip it apart

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
So you "cannot" slow it down by hand????

If so, is it because the gov. shaft won't rotate???

DaveTN

Threads
Before we begin tearing the engine apart, let's go back to the original problem. It started running away after you rebuilt the carburetor? When you said you controlled the governor by hand, did that mean you actually put your hand on the governor arm and moved it? If you were using the throttle with spring and the governor was out of adjustment, that might not be enough force to drop the RPMs. In other words using the throttle manually to try and slow it down. The spring may not have enough strength to pull against the governor sufficiently. Have you adjusted the governor arm and governor shaft yet? When that throttle plate closes an engine will not over-rev and race at full RPM! You said the throttle plate closed and opened? What happens when you put 1/2 choke on it when it's running away? Could be something as simple as linkage binding up somewhere. In regard to your question as to whether the governor being out of working order in the engine, I would surmise that something ground the gear teeth off the governor gear. That would be like having no governor at all. You should feel resistance to moving the governor arm. That would indicate to me that the governor is working, just not set properly. Hope this helps.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Before we begin tearing the engine apart, let's go back to the original problem. It started running away after you rebuilt the carburetor? When you said you controlled the governor by hand, did that mean you actually put your hand on the governor arm and moved it? If you were using the throttle with spring and the governor was out of adjustment, that might not be enough force to drop the RPMs. In other words using the throttle manually to try and slow it down. The spring may not have enough strength to pull against the governor sufficiently. Have you adjusted the governor arm and governor shaft yet? When that throttle plate closes an engine will not over-rev and race at full RPM! You said the throttle plate closed and opened? What happens when you put 1/2 choke on it when it's running away? Could be something as simple as linkage binding up somewhere. In regard to your question as to whether the governor being out of working order in the engine, I would surmise that something ground the gear teeth off the governor gear. That would be like having no governor at all. You should feel resistance to moving the governor arm. That would indicate to me that the governor is working, just not set properly. Hope this helps.

He has said that he has rebuilt the carb? I didn't see that.

Looking back at my response, I should have caught myself, he couldn't visually see the throttle plate unless he took the carb off, so I am
skeptical.

Grab the top of the throttle rod and pull straight up, if the plate is missing, the shaft will come up and out.