Engine seized

redka

Threads
My son's fairly new Stihl MS270 chainsaw engine has seized. It got hot and began running/cutting poorly so he shut it off. A while later he tried to crank it, and it won't turn. He is using Stihl oil in the gas; however, after looking back into the owner manual I see it specifies 89 octane gas, "using lower octane may cause the engine to seize."...he was using 87 octane.
Question: is there something we can pour into the cylinder and free it loose in hopes the engine is not too badly damaged to use?
Thanks

indypower

Threads
Marvel Mystery oil sometimes works. But, it will only work if the piston is siezed to the cylinder. If the rod is siezed to the crankshaft, then a new rod & crankshaft will be needed.

redka

Threads
Thanks for the replies. I put some diesel in it this morning.

redka

Threads
The diesel worked. After sitting about 3-4 hours I did some gentle tapping on the pulley wheel and got it to turn.
With diesel fuel in the cylinder/engine, is there anything special I should do before trying to fire it up?
Thanks.

redka

Threads
Now you take it apart , clean it out and see how badly damaged it was.

That' s beyond my expertise, so will take it to the shop. My son and I have learned from this experience, and thanks for the help.

Threads
My son's fairly new Stihl MS270 chainsaw engine has seized. It got hot and began running/cutting poorly so he shut it off. A while later he tried to crank it, and it won't turn. He is using Stihl oil in the gas; however, after looking back into the owner manual I see it specifies 89 octane gas, "using lower octane may cause the engine to seize."...he was using 87 octane.
Question: is there something we can pour into the cylinder and free it loose in hopes the engine is not too badly damaged to use?
Thanks
fill it with marvel mysterty oil and let it sit for awhile then turn it over it should brake free easy you might have to hone it out depends on how bad its hurt new rings piston and barons it will run like new

a.palmer jr.

Threads
It sounds to me like you may be running your engine a bit too lean. You can richen up the mixture with the two screws on the side of the saw, L for low and idle H for high speed. Probably wouldn't hurt to turn both out at least 1//4 turn counterclockwise, maybe more if the saw still runs all right.