Gasoline Storage and Transport

chobbs1957

Threads
I am one who likes to stockpile enough gas to run a month or two in my equipment. When I have time to mow, I want to head out the door and mow, not having to worry about making a trip to the service station to get gas. I do use ethanol free gas (have to drive a ways to find it) and add Sta-Bil to the can.

What are some choice ways besides a 5 gallon can of storing fuel? What are some options that you professionals may use? A full 5 gallon can is heavy, a struggle to fill a mower tank without some spillage, a hazard and a waste.

I am not interested in a $400 option, either. I was thinking something that would hold about 15 gallons that would either free flow through a hose to a tank from an elevated position or a primer pump or something of some kind.

Many years ago steel drums were more common on the farm, both 30 gallon and 55's, as a lot of ag-chemicals were packaged that way. I saw users clean those and equip with a hand pump and filter. Most farmers I see now are large enough operators that their fuel storage and transport equipment is much more modern and appropriate, but they got by with those drums thirty years ago. How crazy am I to consider this? Am I even crazier to consider it with a modern poly drum?

Threads

chobbs1957

Threads
I only use a 5-gallon can and it lasts me the week (I like the weight of it towards the end of the week!):laughing: But a lot of pros go daily to the gas station to fill up their mowers, since some mowers take as much gas as cars, and also carry a 5-gallon can with them on the trailer.

These might interest you:

Scepter 6792 Flo N' Go DuraMax 14-Gallon Gas Can w/ Fuel Siphon

Ohio Steel FD-25G 25 Gallon Fuel Daddy

Both of those look pretty good, in fact the 14 gallon Scepter looks ideal, EXCEPT FOR PRICE! I'd like to get out for $50 to $100.....

THANKS!

Threads
...I'd like to get out for $50 to $100.....

THANKS!

This, but it would be hard to pour! :confused2:

Safety Cans & Gas Tanks | Safety Cans-Gas | FLO-FAST™ 15 Gallon Polyethylene Gas Can, Red, 15501 | B918698 - GlobalIndustrial.com

101077.jpg

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Click on images for prices and descriptions.
For use in various size steel and poly type drums
Make sure the one you obtain is compatable with gasoline dispensing.

Or maybe these. More choices.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
My old junker car I replaced the gas tank with a 15 gallon fuel cell. Got it at napa for about 75 it was gravity fed to the fuel pump could use something like that

chobbs1957

Threads
My old junker car I replaced the gas tank with a 15 gallon fuel cell. Got it at napa for about 75 it was gravity fed to the fuel pump could use something like that

Yeah, another good idea. I may even try a junk yard and get an old car's gas tank....

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Years ago when I farmed I had a 55 gallon drum that I laid on it's side and welded two pieces of angle iron to the ends for legs to keel it from rolling. Then I welded a 2" coupling on the top on one each end and then cut the inside out of the couplings. On one side I put a hand pump that was made to go into the big bung of a drum. And on the other I put a short stand pipe with two 90* L's so that it could vent. I used it for Diesel for years. Not sure about hauling 55 gallons of gas like that though.