HD GT2544 blows 25amp fuse on the battery circuit

earlyj

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / HD GT2544 blows 25amp fuse on the battery circuit
I seem to have the same problem as many other members. The mower has run great up until last week when out of the blue it died. Tried to restart and everything was dead. Check the battery first and found it to be fully charged. Then found the 25amp fuse blown in the red wire battery circuit. Replaced the fuse and the mower ran for only a few minutes and blew another fuse. At this point i started to do some research on line and started some eliminations of items on the mower. I've gone through a pocket of fuses and haven't found the problem as of yet. I've disconnected the regulator/rectifier, electric pto, hour/volt meter, changed batteries, and it still blows the fuse. After replacing the fuse the mower starts up as normal and may run 2 minutes or 15 minutes before it blows the fuse. It can be just running around the yard without the pto engaged when at random it dies. I've noticed that members with this type of problem haven't reported back if they resolved there problem. Any help/suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is one that I dread coming into the shop. I would be hunting for a bad connection or a frayed wire. You are going to have to test everything and don't assume any part or wire is good. I would start with any wires that are in the run circuit, as that is where the fuse is blowing. A multimeter will help some, but you will probably have to rely on you eyes and finger tips. You may get lucky and find it in ten minutes or it may take you hours. Your biggest helper will be patience. Good luck.

earlyj

Forum Newbie
Threads
I seem to have the same problem as many other members. The mower has run great up until last week when out of the blue it died. Tried to restart and everything was dead. Check the battery first and found it to be fully charged. Then found the 25amp fuse blown in the red wire battery circuit. Replaced the fuse and the mower ran for only a few minutes and blew another fuse. At this point i started to do some research on line and started some eliminations of items on the mower. I've gone through a pocket of fuses and haven't found the problem as of yet. I've disconnected the regulator/rectifier, electric pto, hour/volt meter, changed batteries, and it still blows the fuse. After replacing the fuse the mower starts up as normal and may run 2 minutes or 15 minutes before it blows the fuse. It can be just running around the yard without the pto engaged when at random it dies. I've noticed that members with this type of problem haven't reported back if they resolved there problem. Any help/suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the info. That's kinda what i thought i would have to do.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Until you get it figured out, go up to the auto parts store and get a self resetting fuse for around $5, when it gets hot, it snaps off like a blown fuse, but when it cools it resets, it will save you a lot of fuse money until you isolate the problem.

I always take a quick look around the exhaust, hood hinge area, and the steering gears for damage to the wiring/wiring harness, a lot of times you can get lucky and find the damaged wires that way.

earlyj

Forum Newbie
Threads
Until you get it figured out, go up to the auto parts store and get a self resetting fuse for around $5, when it gets hot, it snaps off like a blown fuse, but when it cools it resets, it will save you a lot of fuse money until you isolate the problem.

I always take a quick look around the exhaust, hood hinge area, and the steering gears for damage to the wiring/wiring harness, a lot of times you can get lucky and find the damaged wires that way.

Thanks for the info about the resetting fuse and suggestions where to look. It will surely save some bucks and hopefully zero in on my problem. Will post what i find. Thanks again for the replies.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnWorld!

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair forum. :smile:

taxidermist

Threads
I had one doing that the other day and it was from the wires going to the headlight shorted out and caused the fuse to blow.

Rob

earlyj

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had one doing that the other day and it was from the wires going to the headlight shorted out and caused the fuse to blow.

Rob

Hey Rob, thanks for the input. out of town today, planning on getting back on the hunt tomorrow. Thanks again.

earlyj

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Rob, thanks for the input. out of town today, planning on getting back on the hunt tomorrow. Thanks again.

Just an update after spending about a day checking wires and connections to the carb, hour meter,pto, reg/stator,safety switches and the 12v power supply. Also cleaning the ignition switch contacts and checking the head lights. Didn't find anything that really jump out as a problem, but the cleaning of the switch, the moving of wires around and disconnecting the wires to the head lights and rolling them up and ty-wraping them to the side of the hood seems to have corrected the problem for now. I have spent about 4hrs of grass cutting time since and haven't blown a fuse as of now. We'll keep cutting until we have problems again. Thanks again for the input and suggestions. They all were instrumental in solving my problem.