Update to old thread " B & S Intek 6.75 add a electric starter?" redesigned and rebui

tankdriver

Threads
  • / Update to old thread " B & S Intek 6.75 add a electric starter?" redesigned and rebui
Update to old thread " B & S Intek 6.75 add a electric starter?" redesigned and rebui

First all a big thanks to Rivets for helping me find the parts numbers I needed to do this mod.

I have a Swisher Postmaster tow behind line trimmer. It is hard to start, as you have no tension release on the drive belt. So you are turning engine, a long drive belt, and the trimmer head. After 30 years of working on forklifts, my shoulders are simply worn out. And it has always been a literal pain to start.

Rivets got me the info I needed to add a electric starter on it.

This was what I came up with. I got a battery box, put a 12vt solenoid and a push button starter switch on it. Installed a mower battery in the box, with a couple wood blocks to hold it in place. I added 2 charging post through the lid to recharge it, or use it for other things. And it worked fine.

No sooner did I finish using it the frist time, than I realized I did not think this through. I did not need a battery on it, just use the battery off the Garden Tractor......:mur:

So I redesigned, and rebuilt it. I pulled the battery pack off, and installed a weather proof box on a piece of angle iron at the front of the tow bracket.

I ran a 12 gauge 3 wire extension cord from the box to the started, and to 2 trailer plugs for the tractor.

One gave too much voltage drop, and I wanted to use that plug because we have a couple sprayers, and a water tank to water plants that use the same plug.

I put a start switch and a solenoid in the box to start it. I added a on off switch to turn the ignition off and on, by using the 3rd wire in the extension cord.

It now really works great. I can stop, and start it at any time....:thumbsup:

Thanks Again Rivets.....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Update to old thread " B & S Intek 6.75 add a electric starter?" redesigned and rebui
Re: Update to old thread " B & S Intek 6.75 add a electric starter?" redesigned and r

Just a quick and inexpensive tip to anyone else who would due this. Get a tube of di-electric grease and coat the plug terminals with it once a season. This will keep the terminals from corroding together and make it much easier to disconnect when needed.

tankdriver

Threads
Re: Update to old thread " B & S Intek 6.75 add a electric starter?" redesigned and r

Just a quick and inexpensive tip to anyone else who would due this. Get a tube of di-electric grease and coat the plug terminals with it once a season. This will keep the terminals from corroding together and make it much easier to disconnect when needed.

Yep, got a tube in my work van......