Walk behind Honda GXV 140 self propelled

enedla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Self-propulsion no longer works. Is this a snapped transmission belt, if it has such a thing. Is it within the realm of the do-it-yourself skill set?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Self-propulsion no longer works. Is this a snapped transmission belt, if it has such a thing. Is it within the realm of the do-it-yourself skill set?

What's the model number and SERIAL number off the back of the mower deck?

Is this a Canadian model Honda mower? It may be very close to a USA model, which I can post tech detail for you. Just get that SERIAL number "MXXX-1234567" off the back of the mower deck to get started.

enedla

Forum Newbie
Threads
What's the model number and SERIAL number off the back of the mower deck?

Is this a Canadian model Honda mower? It may be very close to a USA model, which I can post tech detail for you. Just get that SERIAL number "MXXX-1234567" off the back of the mower deck to get started.

Model GXV140 135 cubic centimeters
S/N MZAL-6015060 SXC

I bought it second hand from another Canadian and I assume he bought it somewhere here in Canada.

Thanks for any help, Robert!

Bill (ooops, I mean "enedla")

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Okay, that is an older Honda HRA215 mower. Nice unit!

From what I can see, it is a shaft-drive model, so no belt(s).

There were a couple of service bulletins issued for this model (over 20 years ago!):
#24, Broken Clutch Fork
#50, Excessive Wear on Driven Clutch

Now my data only shows what USA models were affected, so I can't say for sure if your Canadian-market model was in the group(s) or not. I've attached copies to the bulletins as an FYI.

There's no specific troubleshooting in the shop manual, but I've included a few disassemble and inspection pages to get you familiar with the parts a bit more. It's a simple system, and if you elect to try repairs yourself, keep the work area spotless clean and take your time to really inspect all the parts. With a mower over 20+ year old, no telling what might be worn out. Most individual parts are still available, but not all, so keep that in mind. You can still buy a fully-assembled transmission; it's Honda Part Number 20001-VA4-J02, (that is a USA-system part number) with a list price of $219.91.

Attachments

• lm #50.pdf
    64.5 KB · Views: 23
  • lm #24.pdf
    61 KB · Views: 19
  • hra trans pages.pdf
    76.9 KB · Views: 26

enedla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, that is an older Honda HRA215 mower. Nice unit!

From what I can see, it is a shaft-drive model, so no belt(s).

There were a couple of service bulletins issued for this model (over 20 years ago!):
#24, Broken Clutch Fork
#50, Excessive Wear on Driven Clutch

Now my data only shows what USA models were affected, so I can't say for sure if your Canadian-market model was in the group(s) or not. I've attached copies to the bulletins as an FYI.

There's no specific troubleshooting in the shop manual, but I've included a few disassemble and inspection pages to get you familiar with the parts a bit more. It's a simple system, and if you elect to try repairs yourself, keep the work area spotless clean and take your time to really inspect all the parts. With a mower over 20+ year old, no telling what might be worn out. Most individual parts are still available, but not all, so keep that in mind. You can still buy a fully-assembled transmission; it's Honda Part Number 20001-VA4-J02, (that is a USA-system part number) with a list price of $219.91.

Hi Robert,
Thanks for the great diagrams. When I've decided where I can do the work here in our house I will tear it down to see what the problem is.

Bill