John Deere-L130 PTO is engaged-Mower will not start now

jpwinn

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere-L130 PTO is engaged-Mower will not start now
I MOVED THIS TO THE CORRECT FORUM...CAN"T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DELETE THO

Hello all,

I've searched a bit for something similar. As a disclaimer i am NOT mechanically inclined, but can follow directions pretty well

I have a JD L130. This weekend while mowing i noticed an electrical smell and a wisp of smoke from under the mower. I hit the PTO to turn it off. It would NOT turn off when i hit the switch! I tried it a couple of times while it was running, but no luck.

I turned off the machine (turned out to be a dumb move as i was in the way backyard...and it was 95+degrees) to investigate.

Couldnt see anything obvious. Tried to turn on, won't now. (cuz the PTO is still engaged i assume). Hit the button a few times, up down etc. nothing.

Decide to "push" it to the garage....see dumb move turning it off....oh my it was hot.

Anyway, i get it to the garage, pull apart the PTO switch on the dash, and hey! its melted! that must be the problem! bought a new switch, swapped it out.....and nothing....won't start, no lights, i do believe i have power though.

So, i threw an Ohm meter on the female part of the PTO switch wiring harness....Almost all female connections are "shorted out". I then unplug the harness from the PTO clutch. Short goes away.....

So....i'm thinking....its the clutch that has just crapped out on me...

What are your thoughts and guidance?

Its a L130 (John Deere), about 8 years old, give or take.

thanks, in advance!

Jeff

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / John Deere-L130 PTO is engaged-Mower will not start now
Unplug the two wire connector that is connected to the pto clutch, as take a meter and see if you have power to the clutch. If yes then unplug pto switch and try again. If the clutch shorts on the L series mowers, it fries the pto switch. So you may have already toasted the new switch.

the mower won't start with the pto switch unplugged, because it also acts like a safety switch when starting.