Craftsman 6.5 HP Eager-1 Leaking oil under deck

mmanter

Threads
I have another lawn mower issue with a different mower. This one is a Craftsman self propelled lawn mower with the 6.5 HP Tecumseh Eager-1 engine.

I noticed the oil level was very very low when I changed it this weekend & when I cleaned under the deck the grass was wet. I thought it may have been oil since it was about a month since I last used it. Well, when I moved it tonight I noticed a puddle of oil on the floor. What should I look for & how costly of a repair can this be? I don't really have the cash to buy a new mower at the moment & am having a hard time finding my compression tester in order to complete the diagnosis of the other mower.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most likely the crankshaft seal is leaking. After removing the blade, and blade mount, you can pry out the old seal, don't scratch the crankshaft, and then install a new seal.

mmanter

Threads
Hmmm doesn't sound like too hard of a seal to change. The lawn mower itself wasn't taken care of very well & was very low on oil & the oil that was in the engine was black. In addition I took a look at the mower this morning & there seems to be an oil slick on the engine itself. Everything is greasy on it. Would that be cause for concern as well?

Starting to think I just need to scrap this thing.

mmanter

Threads
Well,

after a few failed attempts to get a replacement mower I'm gonna try to fix this one. There anything in particular I should use to remove & install the seal?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use a seal puller, but you can use about anything that you can slip between the crankshaft and the seal to pry it out. Just don't scratch the crankshaft, otherwise the new seal may leak.