The Last Straw...Honda HRR Wheels

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well what do you think is the best 21 in. push mower for the commercial operator?

What I think are the best commercial mowers on the market right now would be, I'd have to say The Toro and Exmark with the Kawasaki engines. The thing is as far as top rated mowers go you can visit ten different places and get a list of the top 10 rated mowers on the market and every list will be different and have different mowers. I think if you honestly want to know what is the best the way to find out, is watch the professional maintenance crews on some of the golf courses, or that maintain these 2000 home sub-divisions and see what they are using. Talk to some of the owners and ask why they run what they have and why.

But Honda is consistently on top. :licking:

• Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mowers - Top-Rated & Best-Selling Self-Propelled Mowers
    16015-last-straw-honda-hrr-wheels-mowers-direct-png
  • Best Lawn Mowers - Top 6 Lawn Mower Reviews
    16016-last-straw-honda-hrr-wheels-consumer-reports-png
  • Consumer Reports: Honda Tops List Of Lawn Mowers For Performance, Value - Hartford Courant

"Consumer Reports' latest mower tests show that Honda is on a roll for performance and value. Testers also found some bargain-priced riders, including two new models from Troy-Bilt that turn on a dime and are as close as your nearest Lowe's.
    Honda took four of the five top spots among the multispeed, self-propelled mowers most people buy. But you don't have to buy the $700 HRX217VKA to get a stellar machine; the brand's new HRR216VKA costs $479 and scored just two points lower overall. A well-placed bump beneath the deck helped it ace the mulching tests by sending clippings back into the blade. And like the other new Hondas, it toggles between mulching and bagging with a flip of a lever."

Yes I agree Honda does show up on top, the problem is there all Residential Entry and Mid Grade Level Rated mowers with a 90 day commercial warranty, not the Commercial HRC series.

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I understand commercial warranty's but really commercial users (the smart ones anyway) are kinda small engine mechanics as a side effect and a warranty while nice but unnecessary because most problems can be taken care of by the user. I believe you should not run a lawn care business if you cannot fix and maintain your machines properly.

Warranty is good for the person who does not know how to fix things. This is one of many reasons I am ok with residential quality equipment as I can fix just about anything on them. Also my entire trailer full of equipment can be replaced with 1 grand easy if something crazy happened. The snapper here looks like a good quality machine and its in my price range (easily replaced) and its on my radar if and when my honda actually dies.

I agree with what you say but the warranty is not about fixing your mower or how good you are with fixing things, it's about replacement. A year ago july 4th I purchased a Toro Grandstand, now lets say next month I should have a drive unit or a PTO go bad, or the motor goes bad, who's going to pay for that? With the 5Year 1200 hour warranty they pay for everything, it doesn't come out of my pocket or the business funds. Right now you say my entire trailer full of equipment can be replaced with 1 grand easy and that's fine if you want to work through Home Depot with bottom of the line homeowner equipment but I dare say if and when you drop 8 to 10 K on one mower your philosophy about the business will change.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with what you say but the warranty is not about fixing your mower or how good you are with fixing things, it's about replacement. A year ago july 4th I purchased a Toro Grandstand, now lets say next month I should have a drive unit or a PTO go bad, or the motor goes bad, who's going to pay for that? With the 5Year 1200 hour warranty they pay for everything, it doesn't come out of my pocket or the business funds. Right now you say my entire trailer full of equipment can be replaced with 1 grand easy and that's fine if you want to work through Home Depot with bottom of the line homeowner equipment but I dare say if and when you drop 8 to 10 K on one mower your philosophy about the business will change.

Yes this is true but I have no idea how I could justify spending 8 to 10k on a lawn mower. I could get a cheaper (in every sense of the word) mower such as my honda is cheap compared to proline that I can take the risk on for a fraction of that price. I wouldn't even want to be that big enough to need something of that magnitude. I could easily drop 10k into my mortgage or a new car or another house to rent out or whatever. I am definately not disagreeing with you at all if I did spend 10k on a mower it better be dam well protected warranty insurance etc I'm just saying its not always necessary :)

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes this is true but I have no idea how I could justify spending 8 to 10k on a lawn mower. I could get a cheaper (in every sense of the word) mower such as my honda is cheap compared to proline that I can take the risk on for a fraction of that price. I wouldn't even want to be that big enough to need something of that magnitude. I could easily drop 10k into my mortgage or a new car or another house to rent out or whatever. I am definately not disagreeing with you at all if I did spend 10k on a mower it better be dam well protected warranty insurance etc I'm just saying its not always necessary :)

Time and profit margin is how you justify buying a Ztr or stander. In the lawn care business Time is money. A good ztr of some type can add 3 or more lawns to what you currently do in a day now by cutting the time in half on the lawns you do now with a push mower. If you add 3 or more clients a day to what your doing now , that's a minimum 15 new clients a week and that should take care of any mower payment and increase your profit margin.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are talking about that ninja CRP218520 it comes with a bagger? My problem with buying the mower is the fact it only has a 90 day commercial warranty.

Your right this years model does come with a bag. Mine did not have a bag and could not get one they said.

When buying a mower I don't judge it on how long the warranty is. But will bring it to a shop before the warranty is up so they can go over it.

It is just faster to fix things myself

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your right this years model does come with a bag. Mine did not have a bag and could not get one they said.

When buying a mower I don't judge it on how long the warranty is. But will bring it to a shop before the warranty is up so they can go over it.

It is just faster to fix things myself

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

The thing is fixing equipment is fine, I think everyone that's in the business should be able to fix there equipment to a point, but there are some things that you just not able to do and would cost a bunch of money to replace and I think, No I know that the warranty can or could save you a bundle in parts and labor.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
But Honda is consistently on top. :licking:

It's like I said the lists are never the same. They say themselves We've compiled the best Top 10 lists of the best-selling, top-rated and expert recommended self-propelled mowers and there lists are not identical, there number 1 seller is the Husqvarna AWD.

ClydeO

Forum Newbie
Threads
Funny! My new (right out of the box) HRR2169VKA has the same problem with the rear wheels locking up and it has never cut any grass. It's going back to Home Depot tomorrow.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Funny! My new (right out of the box) HRR2169VKA has the same problem with the rear wheels locking up and it has never cut any grass. It's going back to Home Depot tomorrow.

Take it back and buy the Toro. Honda has had that problem for years and to my knowledge nobody has ever come up with a fix for the wheels locking. I've owned more than one and they have all done the same thing within in a few months of purchase, I'll never buy another Honda mower. :thumbdown:

NJsnapper

Threads
Mr HHR bought used works perfectly. Wheels never locked up one time..