Repairs what type of oil in smartdrive HRR2168VKA

kmvorndran

Forum Newbie
Threads
My smartdrive on Honda HRR2168vka was not working. I noticed that there was some grass clippings stuck on the pulley system and the belt actually came off. In attempt to get the belt back on, I mistakenly removed the cover for what I believe is the transmission on the smart drive. As I removed the bolts, a type of oil leaked out. Since then I have found the correct way to fix the belt. However, I have been unable to determine what type of fluid this is to put the cover back up in sealed fashion. Anyone know if this is just regular oil, and if so what weight or some type of transmission fluid? Or if Honda has a special Honda brand fluid that must be used?

Thx

Threads
My smartdrive on Honda HRR2168vka was not working. I noticed that there was some grass clippings stuck on the pulley system and the belt actually came off. In attempt to get the belt back on, I mistakenly removed the cover for what I believe is the transmission on the smart drive. As I removed the bolts, a type of oil leaked out. Since then I have found the correct way to fix the belt. However, I have been unable to determine what type of fluid this is to put the cover back up in sealed fashion. Anyone know if this is just regular oil, and if so what weight or some type of transmission fluid? Or if Honda has a special Honda brand fluid that must be used?

Thx

I have no clue what it was that came out of your mower, but if it was regular oil, and if you use the OEM Honda oil that is recommended in your manual, then it could be Honda SAE 10W-30 Genuine Oil.

OEM Honda oil.jpg

But since you removed the cover to the transmission my guess is it's transmission fluid. :confused:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads

Thx

The SmartDrive transmission uses SAE 10W-30 engine oil, just like the engine. The "8" version of the VKA holds 2.2 ounces (about 65cc).

Last edited:

kmvorndran

Forum Newbie
Threads
The SmartDrive transmission uses SAE 10W-30 engine oil, just like the engine. The "8" version of the VKA holds 2.2 ounces (about 65cc).

Thanks alot. I figured it was engine oil based on looks but wanted to be sure. Knowing the amount it holds is icing on the cake. Very much appreciate the help.:smile:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks alot. I figured it was engine oil based on looks but wanted to be sure. Knowing the amount it holds is icing on the cake. Very much appreciate the help.:smile:

Gotta ask, what part of WV? I have a lot of family in Nitro/Charleston area.

anthonym6

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently did the same thing, and this is the reason I signed up here. Rob, should I drain the rest of the oil out of the transmission and then add 2.2 ounces of oil? I have the "6" version. Should the oil be added from the bottom plate with the 4 bolts by tipping the mower upside down? Thanks!

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recently did the same thing, and this is the reason I signed up here. Rob, should I drain the rest of the oil out of the transmission and then add 2.2 ounces of oil? I have the "6" version. Should the oil be added from the bottom plate with the 4 bolts by tipping the mower upside down? Thanks!

The (K)6 version uses a bit more, 5.1 ounces, about 150cc. To get it right, you must, remove the transmission, position it so the case opening is level (go ahead and pour out the old oil) then fill with the correct amount. Here's a drawing from the shop manual:

vkak6transfluidrefil_zps59a74ab0.jpg

hartlo90

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Rob! I have the same problem as this user (accidentally loosened one of the transmission pan bolts) and drained an ounce or two of fluid accidentally. My lawn mower is the HRR2169vka. Would my transmission have the same capacity of 5.1 ounces?

Briantii

Threads
Hello Rob! I have the same problem as this user (accidentally loosened one of the transmission pan bolts) and drained an ounce or two of fluid accidentally. My lawn mower is the HRR2169vka. Would my transmission have the same capacity of 5.1 ounces?

I think it would be the smaller amount of about 2oz. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I found chipped teeth on my gears 5 years ago. I guessed on capacity and refilled with automatic transmission fluid. Every other part of it has given me trouble, but the transmission is still smooth. The Honda self propelled design is junk anyway with the bushings that jam up and prevent the mower from rolling backwards.