Deck "holding" grass

nighthawk

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old Snapper mower that I got from my grandparents. I don't know what model it is, but it has to be at least 15 years old, only used for one summer before my grandpa got sick. I got it tuned up and the engine repaired, and it runs and starts great. The problem I'm having, though, is that as I'm going the blade seems to be holding the clippings up in the deck, and the mower gets bogged down and unhappy. I shut it off, the clippings fall out, and I can start it up and keep going. My grass is a bit too long (about 12 inches in most places) and it only takes about 10' before I can hear the engine having to work too hard. I don't think grass height is the problem, because I've gone through the same grass even taller with other mowers without having this problem. Any expert insight would be greatly appreciated.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have an old Snapper mower that I got from my grandparents. I don't know what model it is, but it has to be at least 15 years old, only used for one summer before my grandpa got sick. I got it tuned up and the engine repaired, and it runs and starts great. The problem I'm having, though, is that as I'm going the blade seems to be holding the clippings up in the deck, and the mower gets bogged down and unhappy. I shut it off, the clippings fall out, and I can start it up and keep going. My grass is a bit too long (about 12 inches in most places) and it only takes about 10' before I can hear the engine having to work too hard. I don't think grass height is the problem, because I've gone through the same grass even taller with other mowers without having this problem. Any expert insight would be greatly appreciated.

First off grass height is your problem...

Secondly mowers are designed to keep clippings lifted in order to process then (mulch, bag, discharge) a mulching specific blade will help but if you don't want it to bog down cut sooner.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like exotion said.. Your problem IS the length you are trying to cut... You should never cut More than 1/3 of the total height. SO if your 'grass' is 12 inches tall you could remove the top 4 inches IF you can find a finish mower that has an 8 inch setting!

I have used 'other' mowers and cut 3 and 4 foot grasses... BUT those other mowers were Not grooming finish mowers, & it was not lawn grass.
You can not expect a good finish mower to also perform as a rotary slasher... simple solution, mow more often Or get a different type mower... :smile:KennyV

gabowman

Threads
I'd recommend if cutting that tall of grass do it at the highest setting for your mower, cut very slooooooow, and only about 1/4 to 1/2 the width of what the mower is capable of doing. Once you get the height of the grass down to a more manageable height then you can recut at a desired height with better results.

nighthawk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try to get it cut sooner next time.