Intro...

twobro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey,

Just a quick hello from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I run a small residential lawncare company and was trolling for information on some Lawn Boy mowers.

A sideline business has me collecting recyclables, where I picked up a LB 5275 that was listed on a local buy/sell forum for free. I took the trek out, and there was a complete 1978 LB 5275 complete with shoot and bag.

I took it back to the garage and had a look at it. The engine was locked up, somehow full of grass clippings up to the piston skirt. I have no idea how that happens, but it clearly needed a deeper dive. I took it apart, that engine is cooked, the piston had deep scores and the bottom brass "sleeve" was worn right out.

Somehow, I needed to have this mower running. I went to the local small engine shop and found a 1984 5124 with a wrecked frame, but seemingly clean engine, solid bottom bearing and good compression.

The ignition on the 1978 was seeming more advanced, a "Solid State", single pack, vs the points and condenser system found in the 1984. The coil bolt holes lined up and I was able to gap it correctly, but the shroud on the 1984 engine needed a little bit of "trimming" to get the 1978 "Solid State" pack to fit properly.

After re-assembly, a few primer squirts, and a few pulls had the little Frankenstein start up, and has been serving along side modern Briggs 4 strokes.

I really like this mower, it's light, edges beautifully and smells just great!