Use Mo-Deck or Clean Machine on NeXite Deck?

pmillen

Threads
No I am saying that water on a deck can make it rust faster never said the engine

Sorry, I didn't read it properly. I don't have that concern, my deck is some sort of polymer.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why don't people just use 409 a dish brush and a pressure washer

pmillen

Threads
Robert from Honda made a post some time back about why not to do this. You will have to search for it but it was something about letting the bearings/seals cool down before hitting them with high pressure water from a hose.

I'll see if I can find that post.

Bearings? Which ones? The hot ones? Inside the engine isn't a worry. Cool ones like wheel bearings aren't a problem getting wet. Maybe the blade bearing and some in the drive mechanism are hot. I find this curious.

Seals? Hmmmm.

I'll look for the post. If someone else finds it please tip me off.

Threads
I'll see if I can find that post.

Bearings? Which ones? The hot ones? Inside the engine isn't a worry. Cool ones like wheel bearings aren't a problem getting wet. Maybe the blade bearing and some in the drive mechanism are hot. I find this curious.

Seals? Hmmmm.

I'll look for the post. If someone else finds it please tip me off.

Here? http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/honda-forum/15563-hrx217hya-engine-deck-washing-cable-lube.html (Post #3)

"The "let the engine cool before washing" language has been in Honda manuals for years; here's the science/why:

--When the engine heats up, so do the bearings. Hot metal expands, including the space/gap in the bearing.
--Spraying water near the hot bearings leaves a lot of moisture near and inside the gaps.
--As the bearing cools, the air pressure drops, and actually draws in water inside the bearing.
--Water trapped in the bearing causes rust to form, and eventually, the bearing will fail.

This is more likely to happen on mowers with a blade clutch, vs. those with blades bolted directing to the crankshaft.

Silicone is the best overall lube for cables; once a year is probably just fine, but if you notice them binding or getting stiff, a bit more often is better."

pmillen

Threads
"The "let the engine cool before washing" language has been in Honda manuals for years; here's the science/why:

--When the engine heats up, so do the bearings. Hot metal expands, including the space/gap in the bearing.
--Spraying water near the hot bearings leaves a lot of moisture near and inside the gaps.
--As the bearing cools, the air pressure drops, and actually draws in water inside the bearing.
--Water trapped in the bearing causes rust to form, and eventually, the bearing will fail.

This is more likely to happen on mowers with a blade clutch, vs. those with blades bolted directing to the crankshaft.

Silicone is the best overall lube for cables; once a year is probably just fine, but if you notice them binding or getting stiff, a bit more often is better."

This is obviously the gospel of Saint Honda but I don't believe it for a minute. Honda certainly doesn't have comparable failures when I ride my Honda motorcycle or drive my Honda car in the rain. Do I need to stop using my Honda snow throwers as soon as the parts get warm enough to melt snow? And apparently my Honda outboard motor, with bearings and seals that might get wet, is destined to fail. Or does Honda intentionally put failure-prone seals and bearings only in mowers?

I still have my John Deere 14SB owners' manual. Nothing like that in it. Apparently Honda is admitting that their equipment is susceptible to damage that doesn't concern John Deere owners.

As I wrote, "I don't believe it for a minute."

GregGA

Threads
This is obviously the gospel of Saint Honda but I don't believe it for a minute. Honda certainly doesn't have comparable failures when I ride my Honda motorcycle or drive my Honda car in the rain. Do I need to stop using my Honda snow throwers as soon as the parts get warm enough to melt snow? And apparently my Honda outboard motor, with bearings and seals that might get wet, is destined to fail. Or does Honda intentionally put failure-prone seals and bearings only in mowers?

I still have my John Deere 14SB owners' manual. Nothing like that in it. Apparently Honda is admitting that their equipment is susceptible to damage that doesn't concern John Deere owners.

As I wrote, "I don't believe it for a minute."

I too have to believe it is some kind of CYA, but why?

I tried something new yesterday when I cleaned the HRX: I tipped it up and used the leaf blower under the deck. It worked very good, and saved me the effort of washing the grass off the drive way. It's easier to blow it off.

Now, will using the force of hot air blow the grass into the gaps of the bearings and seals:rolleyes:

pmillen

Threads
I tried something new yesterday when I cleaned the HRX: I tipped it up and used the leaf blower under the deck. It worked very good, and saved me the effort of washing the grass off the drive way. It's easier to blow it off.:
Great idea! I have a leaf blower that will blow the hair off of your head. I'm going to try it.

Now, will using the force of hot air blow the grass into the gaps of the bearings and seals:rolleyes:

:laughing: