New member looking for solution. Help from Honda pro requested.

shadeytree

Threads
  • / New member looking for solution. Help from Honda pro requested.
Robert,

I bought a carburetor from my local Honda dealer using the part # you supplied. That was the wrong part # for my engine, which has the automatic choke return (Choke Base Lever, control type 4 in the Honda Part Catalogue). It should have been carburetor 16100-Z0L-853 instead of 16100-Z0L-023. After I installed the new carburetor I still had problems starting the mower, it took a shot of starter fluid to get it going. Finally I noticed the choke was not functioning. I did not notice when I installed the new carburetor that the choke control was not contacting the choke pivot on the carburator. The new carburetor had a different choke pivot arm, the difference in the two carburetors so slight I did not notice. The schematic you attached does not show the choke mechanism for either carburetor.

No problems though, :thumbsup: a technician at my local dealer, Weno Power Equipment, told me how to add a stud (bolt) to the choke pivot arm, which made the new carburetor function perfectly.:thumbsup: The mower starts on first pull every time now.

I wanted to post this so that others know and would not duplicate this mistake.

Thanks
(ps: you can disregard the PM's that I sent to you last evening)

The part number for new carburetor is 16100-Z0L-023, list price $15.08.
The gaskets are #11 (need 1) 16212-ZL8-000. $1.46, #12 (need 2) 16221-883-800 ($1.58 each) and #13 (need 1) 16228-Z0L-840, $0.85

GCV160CARBPARTS_zps35f074d5.jpg

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert,

I bought a carburetor from my local Honda dealer using the part # you supplied. That was the wrong part # for my engine, which has the automatic choke return (Choke Base Lever, control type 4 in the Honda Part Catalogue). It should have been carburetor 16100-Z0L-853 instead of 16100-Z0L-023. After I installed the new carburetor I still had problems starting the mower, it took a shot of starter fluid to get it going. Finally I noticed the choke was not functioning. I did not notice when I installed the new carburetor that the choke control was not contacting the choke pivot on the carburator. The new carburetor had a different choke pivot arm, the difference in the two carburetors so slight I did not notice. The schematic you attached does not show the choke mechanism for either carburetor.

No problems though, :thumbsup: a technician at my local dealer, Weno Power Equipment, told me how to add a stud (bolt) to the choke pivot arm, which made the new carburetor function perfectly.:thumbsup: The mower starts on first pull every time now.

I wanted to post this so that others know and would not duplicate this mistake.

Thanks
(ps: you can disregard the PM's that I sent to you last evening)

Nice. Thanks for the follow-up, and glad to hear your Honda is running smoothly again! :thumbsup:

shadeytree

Threads
Nice. Thanks for the follow-up, and glad to hear your Honda is running smoothly again! :thumbsup:
Wanted to follow up with another report on this mower/engine, now ~10 years old.
The Honda engine is still going strong, running smoothly and not using oil. I've been really impressed with the engine!! :thumbsup:
The only special care I have done is, at the end of the mowing season:
(a) drain the fuel from the tank, then run the mower until the engine stops, then pull the rope a few more times to get those last few drops of fuel to burn off.
(b) while the engine is still warm, change the oil.

When I added fuel first time this spring, I set the choke and the engine fired on the second pull. Since then it mostly starts on the first pull. Awesome!!

I use this same strategy on my Honda EU2000i generator, with the same results. Another EXCELLENT piece of Honda equipment. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: