Mower deck Clogged deck

davleh

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1500Z with a 48" mower deck.
My problem is the deck gets clogged up any time I'm mowing. I have taken the deck off and had it sandblasted and repainted. Seemed to help but still have basically the same problem. I never mow when the grass is wet but the clippings still accumulate under the deck. I wash out the deck every time I mow. Does anyone else have this problem???
I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

gregjo1948

Threads
Maybe mowing when grass is too tall for the speed you're traveling. Try slowing your ground speed. You should also run the engine at full throttle and keep your blades sharp. gregjo1948

davleh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe mowing when grass is too tall for the speed you're traveling. Try slowing your ground speed. You should also run the engine at full throttle and keep your blades sharp. gregjo1948

Thanks Greg.
That doesn't seem to help. I never rush when I'm mowing and always keep sharp blades.

gregjo1948

Threads
It may be the blades themselves. The blades with a rolled up following edge, push the cut grass upwards towards the bottom side of the deck. As the grass sticks and builds up, the more it is likely to "clog". gregjo1948

davleh

Forum Newbie
Threads
It may be the blades themselves. The blades with a rolled up following edge, push the cut grass upwards towards the bottom side of the deck. As the grass sticks and builds up, the more it is likely to "clog". gregjo1948

Greg,
What type of blades do you recommend? I see some advertised as high lift blades and saw an article about a guy that had the sme problem and the high lift blades seemed to correct it. Is this something you would recommend???

gregjo1948

Threads
I would try taking some of the rolled- up edge out ot the blades that are on it. Set the curled edge on a block of wood with the rolled curve up and smack it with a sledge hammer. You may need to heat it with a torch. A bit crued, but if it helps, who cares? You could also cut or grind off some of the edge. Doing that, could end up with the blade out of balance.gregjo1948

swampdog50

Threads
afternoon

i'm new here, but, I know I've had that problem before, but on a garden tractor , it was suggested that I try what they call
MEG-MO blades, just type that into google and go and listen to the u-tube and see what ya think. I was going to get a set but I bought and new ferris is700z w/52'' .

good luck on ur quest

be well

swampdog50

gregjo1948

Threads
I've heated blades twice and, maybe gotten lucky but, have had good results. I have hit very "hard grass" and bent a blade and couldn't straighten it without heating. While heating, I'm careful not to over heat and soften it so much that it won't hold an edge. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't do it. gregjo1948