what else, another newb with ???s

l2r

Forum Newbie
Threads
Geez guys,

There truly is a forum for just about everything.

I am a tool maker not an engine mechanic.

I am familiar with forums but couldn't activate the search button for some reason so decided to post this question hoping someone has an answer off the top of their heads.

I have a craftsman, bought used a couple years ago. 19.5 briggs.

The last few times I used it, it was getting hard to restart after the engine got warmed up.
Then it would only start cold. NO restart after is ran a few minutes.
Now this week, won't start at all. I pull choke, and smelled some gas. Tried later with no choke, no luck.

Any advise is appreciated.

redmondjp

Threads
Check your spark (may require a helper to crank engine over). Remove plug wire from plug, and insert a #2 Philips screwdriver into the boot. With your hand on the insulated plastic handle, hold shaft of screwdriver 1/16" - 1/18" away from any metal part on the engine and crank engine over. If spark is very weak or non-existent, first check your ignition shutoff circuit (single wire that goes to coil and hooks to lots of interlocks on the mower - if grounded, it kills the spark) for any problems. If that seems OK, you may have a bad coil.

l2r

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks much for the reply.
I will try it out.

kermit911

Threads
You could also try and clean the carburetor, when I cleaned mine out she started up great. There was a lot of built up gel that I had to clean out.