Spindle bearings? Help please....

Black River

Forum Newbie
Threads
The spindle bearings are worn out on the right side of the deck on my LT 2000. I thought i'd be bright and save money by just replacing the bearings on the spindle shaft. I bought new bearings this morning, pulled off the pulley, and got the spindle shaft out easily enough. The problem is, the lower bearings seem to be pressed on the shaft, and for the life of the I can't see how to get them off. What happened to the days when you could just replace the bearings and go on without it being so dang complicated? Does anyone know how I might get the bearing off?

kermit911

Threads
The only way I can think of would be a press, that would be the best way. I have used a small sledge and a socket on an extension before but that is risky, you have to be very careful when taking out a bearing or race. Any little gouge in the metal can ruin the whole spindle. Good luck

redmondjp

Threads
As stated above, a press along with the proper accessories (such as a bearing splitter or separator, google it to see what it looks like) will likely be required. In some cases, you can use either a 2-jaw or a 3-jaw puller as well. The application of heat via a torch is sometimes helpful.

Another option for removing a bearing that will not be reused, is to cut through it with a metal-cutting blade (hacksaw, sabre saw, sawzall, etc) or cutoff wheel, cutting ALMOST all the way through the inner race in either one or two places (the outer race can be cut completely through in two places to get it out of the way first), and then use a cold-chisel in one of the cuts to split the race. This last step helps to prevent cutting into the shaft that the bearing is pressed onto.

You have to decide what your time is worth - in days past when I had lots of 'free' time, I replaced bearings in just about everything imaginable. These days, I only do it if it takes a minimal amount of time and effort, and I have replacement bearings in hand. You can find replacement spindles online for pretty reasonable prices these days.

The only bummer when discussing bearings is the fact that some of the offshore-sourced ones seem to be of vastly inferior quality (last 1/4 as long) compared to the American and Japanese-made ones of years past. That's been my personal experience, anyways.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
OMG take the old shaft put it in the spindle on to the lower bearing and hit with a hammer. To put the new one in take a big socket pit it on the bearing and hit it with the same hammer going easy.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

kermit911

Threads
OMG take the old shaft put it in the spindle on to the lower bearing and hit with a hammer. To put the new one in take a big socket pit it on the bearing and hit it with the same hammer going easy.

I like how technical you where. :smile:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I like how technical you where. :smile:

I can rewrite it if you would like. LOL

Just did bearings on my cub cadet. Had some wobble in both blades very easy they just fell out. But problem was not bearings. The lip the bearings sit on had some how wore down some.
Cheap cheap cheap spindle. Thinking about going to a machine shop and get with them to make spindles out of steel just to see how the would work.

kermit911

Threads

Just did bearings on my cub cadet. Had some wobble in both blades very easy they just fell out. But problem was not bearings. The lip the bearings sit on had some how wore down some.
Cheap cheap cheap spindle. Thinking about going to a machine shop and get with them to make spindles out of steel just to see how the would work.

LOL, that's a good idea. I bet it will be pricey to get them custom made out of steel.

corvettteguy

Threads

I am in the process of installing new bearings in a 2 blade
cub 38" deck. What I see is the height of new bearings must be under the
size of the old and therefore when I tighten the blade nut I am pressing down on the
cup washers to a point that the blade has significant drag,
I assume the cup washers must rotate freely with the blades.
I think I can solve the problem by utilizing a 3/4 washer which will
extend each bearing slightly while just fitting the inner races.

Think that is a good plan??

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am in the process of installing new bearings in a 2 blade cub 38" deck. What I see is the height of new bearings must be under the size of the old and therefore when I tighten the blade nut I am pressing down on the cup washers to a point that the blade has significant drag, I assume the cup washers must rotate freely with the blades. I think I can solve the problem by utilizing a 3/4 washer which will extend each bearing slightly while just fitting the inner races. Think that is a good plan??

I bet the bearings are the de size as the old ones used to be
Did you put the spacer back in between the bearings?

This has happened to me a few times and it has been that the groove in the spindle that the bearing sits on has wore down.
The best thing to do is replace the spindle or you can get a washer to sit on the groove and just touch the outer part of the bearing.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

corvettteguy

Threads
Ah!
The spacer was missing from one and the other
was in small pieces. Yesterday I put a 1" spacer in as per
the parts manual but it is too short.

I am going to put a longer spacer in untill it
spins freely?? I hope...

I'll let you know