PTO clutch

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
WOW, what an intersting read.....everything I always wanted to know about PTO clutches and was definitely afraid to ask:0)
Mad Mackie,
If my PTO clutch on my Gravely(heaven forbid) ever goes south, can I just load er up on my trailer and bring it to you to repair?? You sure do know the ins-n-outs of these things!!! It would be worth a nice relaxing trip from Tennessee to Connecticut just to feel comfortable that the new clutch would be installed properly!!!

P.S.
The extent of my knowledge is that I do follow the Gravely User Manual and ALWAYS engage my PTO at no more than half-throttle. Maybe that'll help it last a very long time. It's an Ogura GT 2.5 so is that a "good one"???

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi djdicetn,
Thank you for your comments!
From TN to CT would be a long trip and for sure not relaxing having to go thru NJ, NY, and western CT!!!!
To ensure correct torque on a clutch bolt I would have a second person hold a breaker bar with a socket on the flywheel nut as the clutch bolt is torqued. The debris screen would need to be removed from the flywheel and on some engines this means that the blower housing needs to be removed to gain access to the debris screen.
The best things to do are to periodically check the clutch coil continuity with an Ohmmeter to see if the coil is still in spec and also not shorted to ground, and check the airgap which affects the clutch brake. The airgap is adjustable and can be brought back to spec, however a tricky adjustment to do as there are three adjusting nuts 120 degrees from each other. I use three short thickness gauges to do this and I do it with the clutch removed from the engine.
Having discussed electric clutches with several dealer friends, Both Ogura and Warner have some great and not so great units in their lines!!! I see that another company has come out with a line of clutches that have turned pulleys verses stamped ones and replaceable bearings, not sure of the company name, but I see more numbers as time passes.
I've got an old Gravely walk behind here for service, early 1980s machine. I need to return it to the customer but it has been raining all day here and muddy at the customers place, I don't want to get my truck and trailer stuck!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile: