Interesting problem

Ol' Fart

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, new to this forum and looking forwards to the sharing of information with you. I have had my Craftsman for a couple of now and it has been a good mower with only the usual maintenance issues, blades, oil changes, and fuel and air filters. Today I was mowing the back yard and everything was great. I got off the mower while it was running, forgetting to set the parking brake, so the engine died as designed. I went to restart it, but starter would only click. I tapped the starter with a hammer thinking solenoid was stuck, but it didn't help. The battery is good (new at beginning of this mowing season), the blades are disconnected and parking brake set. Anyone have any suggestions? I haven't tried the search function as I am not sure what to search for.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi all, new to this forum and looking forwards to the sharing of information with you. I have had my Craftsman for a couple of now and it has been a good mower with only the usual maintenance issues, blades, oil changes, and fuel and air filters. Today I was mowing the back yard and everything was great. I got off the mower while it was running, forgetting to set the parking brake, so the engine died as designed. I went to restart it, but starter would only click. I tapped the starter with a hammer thinking solenoid was stuck, but it didn't help. The battery is good (new at beginning of this mowing season), the blades are disconnected and parking brake set. Anyone have any suggestions? I haven't tried the search function as I am not sure what to search for.

Welcome to the forum
First off let me yell at you
DO NOT TAP THE STARTER WITH A HAMMER
It is not a old Chevy starter.
Now then just for fun run your jumper cables from your truck battery to the mower battery. I know you said the battery is new but that does not make it good.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Ol' Fart

Forum Newbie
Threads
Carscw...point taken. How did you know what I'm used to working on? :laughing: I thought about the battery maybe not being good so I checked it volt meter. While doing that I did discover what the problem is (was). The switch that activates/de-activates the blades has a broken tang on it. When you pull up to turn on the blades, it applies pressure to the connector so with repeated use it gradually loosened the connection. Functioning again...need to order a new switch, just need to figure the best place to order from. Thanks for the advice; I'll take it to heart. :thumbsup:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Carscw...point taken. How did you know what I'm used to working on? :laughing: I thought about the battery maybe not being good so I checked it volt meter. While doing that I did discover what the problem is (was). The switch that activates/de-activates the blades has a broken tang on it. When you pull up to turn on the blades, it applies pressure to the connector so with repeated use it gradually loosened the connection. Functioning again...need to order a new switch, just need to figure the best place to order from. Thanks for the advice; I'll take it to heart. :thumbsup:

Glad you found trouble.

I get most of my parts from NAPA ( yes mower parts ) or go to a small shop maybe get a used one.
I all so have had to crawl under a Chevy and hit the the starter. Had a 65 nova did it for 2 years.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))