Propane Tank

AndyMan

Threads
We have always had a buried propane tank but are now switching to above ground. They said they need to put in two 100-gallon tanks, up against the house. Does anyone have experience with this? We have about three weeks to figure out where these things are going to go.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
We have always had a buried propane tank but are now switching to above ground. They said they need to put in two 100-gallon tanks, up against the house. Does anyone have experience with this? We have about three weeks to figure out where these things are going to go.

No experience whatsoever, but here's my 2cents.
First consideration, access. Put them where the guy can reach them to fill them, or you'll be picking another location after a cold shower:laughing:
Second, safety. Propane is heavier than air, it accumulates in low spots so try to consider what a leak may mean should one occur. Would'nt want the stuff falling into the basement or under the house. You might not want them in direct proximity to your barbeque. Direct sunlight might also be a concern as would under a tree where leaves and debris might become difficult to remove and accumulation of same would accelorate corosion.
Third, asthetics If the first 2 considerations leave the tanks highly visible (some may not consider 2 100 gallon tanks as the quik trip to "curb appeal") you may want to spend the next three weeks figuring out how to make these tanks look wonderful, using paint, plants, lattice or make them look like a couple of cows, hay bales, garden gnomes, or snails. Use this as an opourtunity to express your inner artistic self, the "Martha Stewart" hidden within, if you will
Fourth, removal and replacement Are they going to have to be replaced anytime soon? Do they need to be inspected or tested regularly? If this is the case than be sure and consider this in your athesitcal design.

grnspot110

Threads
Personally, as a retired firefighter, I would not want any fuel tank against a building! Our 500 gal propane tank is across the drive from the house, about 50'. ~~ grnspot110

173abn

Threads
I have a 500 gal for my house and it's 50' away from my house,I had another 500gal put in for my barn 5yrs ago and the propane guy told me it had to be a certain distance from the barn.I can't remember the min. distance but it too sits 50' from the barn.I'm wondering why you have to have two tanks instead of one larger one? I think I'd give my insurance co. a call before I'd put them up against the house. Merry Christmas! russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have always had a 1000 gallon tank away from the house or buildings...
They use to require buried butane tanks, but I had never seen propane buried.
Get the largest tank you can buy, propane prices change with the seasons, fill a large tank once a year, when the price per gallon is lowest will save you a lot over the years... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a large propane tank that I don't use. It was used for heating before I bought the house and I heat entirely with wood. Would someone buy it?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a large propane tank that I don't use. It was used for heating before I bought the house and I heat entirely with wood. Would someone buy it?

You bet they would and you should sell it because those things are dated. Look carefully and you'll find a date stamped on it somewhere. While you are looking take a picture and post it on craigs list. Ask 300$ and I'll bet you'll sell it. If the tank is expired you can still sell it but someone will have to have it reinspected and restamped, lowering it's value.
If you have a welder those things make great smokers.

indypower

Threads
Up against the house? Local fire laws here sat they must be at least 50ft from the house.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
You bet they would and you should sell it because those things are dated. Look carefully and you'll find a date stamped on it somewhere. While you are looking take a picture and post it on craigs list. Ask 300$ and I'll bet you'll sell it. If the tank is expired you can still sell it but someone will have to have it reinspected and restamped, lowering it's value.
If you have a welder those things make great smokers.

That's good news -- thanks for the advice. I'll look at it closely next time I'm at the farm.

BTW -- It's only about 10 feet from the house:eek: -- all the more reason to move it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

How many gallon tank is it??...
Around here they will sell for $1 a gallon, regardless of age.. A 500 gallon will always bring 500 and up and a 1000 gallon will go for a thousand or more.
The inspection and certification is usually a $35 fee and is usually never charged because your propane supplier is wanting you to remain with them rather than shop around.
I have always thought I would pick one up if I ever came across one selling for less. If you have the tank capacity you can have up to 10k gallons at a residential location.
You can only fill any tank to 80 percent, so a 1k tank will only be filled to 800 gallons. that will normally takeme through an entire year with some left over. But If I had more tanks I could buy it at the lowest price time and very soon pay for the extra tanks... :smile:KennyV