Propane Tank

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
One more thing about the two 100 gallon tanks.
Try to get at least a 500 or better yet a 1000, buy the tanks and own them.
Don't rent or lease them even if it is only $1 a year lease. Also do not have them stop by mthly to service (keep full)... the price per gallon is usually around 20 to 30 percent higher than a minimum fill charge.
If you have enough tank capacity to run 6 mts or more you can buy your fuel when demand is low and your supplier is needing to move it. Price can vary through a year by as much as 50 percent.. Propane NEVER gets old. It can not take on any contaminant (it's under pressure) ...
If you burn propane, you are going to burn it nomatter the cost... just as well plan ahead an save when you can. :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
How many gallon tank is it??...
Around here they will sell for $1 a gallon, regardless of age.. A 500 gallon will always bring 500 and up and a 1000 gallon will go for a thousand or more.
The inspection and certification is usually a $35 fee and is usually never charged because your propane supplier is wanting you to remain with them rather than shop around.
I have always thought I would pick one up if I ever came across one selling for less. If you have the tank capacity you can have up to 10k gallons at a residential location.
You can only fill any tank to 80 percent, so a 1k tank will only be filled to 800 gallons. that will normally takeme through an entire year with some left over. But If I had more tanks I could buy it at the lowest price time and very soon pay for the extra tanks... :smile:KennyV

I don't know the size. I'll both inspect it for writing (specs) and measure it next time I'm there. It's big and I'd like to have it out of the way.

Thanks for the info.

adan

Threads
In my country, only restaurants use the size of the tanks you're talking about. I note though that they're situated against the wall! Scary thought.

But people here don't bother because Filipinos are used to buying small LPG tanks entirely for cooking purposes. They are in 5-6 gal tanks that any strong armed male can carry. You know where they are being sold? In gas stations.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
One more thing about the two 100 gallon tanks.
Try to get at least a 500 or better yet a 1000, buy the tanks and own them.
Don't rent or lease them even if it is only $1 a year lease. Also do not have them stop by mthly to service (keep full)... the price per gallon is usually around 20 to 30 percent higher than a minimum fill charge.
If you have enough tank capacity to run 6 mts or more you can buy your fuel when demand is low and your supplier is needing to move it. Price can vary through a year by as much as 50 percent.. Propane NEVER gets old. It can not take on any contaminant (it's under pressure) ...
If you burn propane, you are going to burn it nomatter the cost... just as well plan ahead an save when you can. :smile:KennyV

That sounds like good advice Kenny.
I know several people that have gone to expense of changing to propane to save money with rising cost of electrcity only to be very dissapointed to find the propane company gigs them everytime they get the chance with regular deliveries and no way to verify the amounts used.
I asked a propane company about the price of propane for home use and they could not give me a number, they indicated the price would vary depending on the amount used. Which means to me that they charge whatever they want or need to.
Sounds like you have developed some work arounds. You probably know what your going to pay before they deliver.
Smart, very smart. Thanks for sharing

jenkinsph

Threads
I used to have propane and had a large tank so that I could buy in early summer when prices were at their lowest. Kenny has the right idea here. I have since switched to natural gas and don't miss the above ground tank, what an eyesore it was.

grnspot110

Threads
Our propane supplier has a "Prepay" program, so I buy around 1000 gallon in the summer & they keep the tank filled on that price until the 1000 gal is used up.

Also have a 100 gal. tank for the ceramic heater in the shop that I haven't used out of in 5 years, I heat the shop with wood. Put it in after surgery so the shop could be kept above freezing if I'm not able to fire the stove. ~~ grnspot110

173abn

Threads
the only trouble with that prepay program here in my parts is if you don't use it all during the season my propane co. charges you a nickle a gallon storage fee.I only use about a tank and a half in the winter to heat my home and even less for my greenhouse and shop because I supplement it with wood and solar so I don't prepay. russ

monica123

Threads
We used to have a propane kitchen range and the tank was right up against the house but we found it to be far too expensive so we switched to electric. We rolled the tank to the side of the road and some guy came and offered me $25 for it and took it away!

AndyMan

Threads
I'm wondering why you have to have two tanks instead of one larger one?

They said we don't use enough propane for a larger tank. We use primarily heat with wood, so we use about 500 gallons a year, for supplemental heating, plus hot water and cooking. We have a choice of two 100 gallon against the house or one torpedo tank in the yard. Not sure how much the torpedo tank holds.

It does seem rather dangerous to have the tanks against the house, especially since we heat with wood. Maybe I'll call them again.

No one around here will sell propane tanks, and even if you could find one to buy, the propane companies will not fill someone else's tank.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
No one around here will sell propane tanks, and even if you could find one to buy, the propane companies will not fill someone else's tank.

Now THAT is a monopoly...
If you could get by with 500 gallons per year, that is the smallest tank you should get...
AND you should be allowed to OWN your tank AND shop for the best price and time of year to buy it...
wow I would be SOOOooo unhappy around there.... :frown:KennyV