Hrb 215 need to replace shift lever cable - 3 speed - how do I do this?

Larryzampogna

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Hrb 215 need to replace shift lever cable - 3 speed - how do I do this?
I inherited a hrb 215 k4 sda mower. Excellent condition. I replaced the throttle cable and carburetor. The cable for the 3 speed was broken. I thought it would be easy but I traced the cable to the housing in the back of the mower. Now what? Do I need to pull the wheels and the transmission?

Last edited:

dfbrown

Threads
I inherited a hrb 215 k4 sda mower. Excellent condition. I replaced the throttle cable and carburetor. The cable for the 3 speed was broken. I thought it would be easy but I traced the cable to the housing in the back of the mower. Now what? Do I need to pull the wheels and the transmission?

The only advise I could give would be for you to contact robert@honda here on the forum and give him your serial and model number to your mower. He can get the exact specs on how to do this as he works for honda power equipment. I will tell you that when you put the carb on and new cable, make sure your choke opens and closes to spec as this is important and if you have access to a tachometer, check to make sure the engine is running full throttle its turning the correct RPMs that it should as this is important. There is a difference from 2800rpm to say 3100 rpm in performance.

The 3 speed cable you could also just go to honda power equipment site and go to owners manuals and find the correct mower and serial number range and open up the owners manual and they tell you how to adjust it to spec and see if that works for you. But if your still unsure, Contact Robert cause hes the man with all the info. Good Luck

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads

Yes.

Pull the blades and remove the rear scroll / cover on the deck to have access to the belt/trans area. You must completely remove the trans. WITH the change cable connected, THEN remove the cable from the trans. housing. Here are some pages to help:

hrbk4trans1of2_zps376c7880.jpg

hrbk4trans2of2_zpsccccc6bb.jpg