Ventrac problems

murph

Forum Newbie
Threads
Buying a 4500 series with Kubota diesel and wanting to know of any problems with this machine

JackIL

Threads
I have had 4 Ventracs with no significant problems. The Diesel has the least power (24.9) of any of the engines offered for the 4500. I currently have the Kubota gasoline (32.5 hp) and love it.

JackIL

Threads
I have had 4 Ventracs with no significant problems. The Diesel has the least power (24.9) of any of the engines offered for the 4500. I currently have the Kubota gasoline (32.5 hp) and love it.

JackIL

Jack can your unit be modified for the propane option at a later date?

JackIL

Threads
Yes, the 32.5 hp Kubota engine can be operated on gasoline or propane. A kit ($1600) is required for propane. Propane reduces power to 31 hp max. The reason I don't use it is that the intermittent slope rating drops from 30 degrees to 25 degrees, and I have a lot of slopes in between. Slope rating drops because the 2 propane tanks are mounted high on the back of the ROPS and therefore raise the center of gravity of the tractor.

Raw Dodge

Threads
Jack how do you like the 32.5..my dealer says it's nice but the old vanguard 950G has a lot more torque.. I see you didn't go diesel this time.. It'd be nice to see an aftermarket bolt on turbo kit for the 25 kubota diesel down the road...

JackIL

Threads
RD,
I have had the 31 hp Vanguard gasoline and turbo Diesel in 4231 tractors and now have the 32.5 hp Kubota gasoline in my 4500. They all perform just about the same as far as I am concerned. I should point out that my comments and observations are based on operating all of the tractors at full throttle when mowing and feathering the hydro control on hills to maintain engine RPM above 3000. If you run the engine at less than full throttle there might be differences in torque observed between engines.

You don't have to take my word for it. See the hill climb video comparison. Ventrac Hill Climb Challenge - YouTube

Raw Dodge

Threads
Thank you Jack. I usually dont run much past 3000rpm while mowing, i find the best balance of noise fuel econony and cut quality around 3200 rpm. Aa far as that video, while its entertaining and funny, it shows absolutely nothing relevant. The engines are simply showing there intermittent hp rating.. They werent cutting grass, and the end was right where the hill loads started taking its toll on the small engines.We cut hills way longer and with thick grass,the difference between a 25 and 31hp is way more than that video would have you believe

bmack

Forum Newbie
Threads
Be careful of the 4200 31hp turbo diesel they have major overheating problem that nobody is not standing behind. Mine is sitting in the shop now in pieces from this problem that I've been fighting since I purchased this piece, with the motor having a little over 500 hrs. on it!! There are 2 more sitting on the floor at the dealer that they are having a very hard time getting the warrantee even to pick up the tab saying that the it is their own fault that it over heated. This is being said from their head mechanic! I work with field equipment for over 35 years and know when something is wrong but they won't even listen/ saying the rad. is clogged to rinse it out. I would stay clear of any diesel engines in these pieces. Just don't have enough ***. I think that you will start hearing more about these in the future.
I do however like the setup and the Kubota GAS engines with the carb setup, many things that they offer, it helps out a lot with labor costs. I'm looking to get the 4500 z with 32.5 Kubota gas engine. Being that I have over $30,000 in options!! You can see a lot of changes in the new line of ventracs with fans on the hydros and a lot bigger radiator, which I think will be a great improvement! I'll let you know how things turn out. good luck!!

Raw Dodge

Threads
Be careful of the 4200 31hp turbo diesel they have major overheating problem that nobody is not standing behind. Mine is sitting in the shop now in pieces from this problem that I've been fighting since I purchased this piece, with the motor having a little over 500 hrs. on it!! There are 2 more sitting on the floor at the dealer that they are having a very hard time getting the warrantee even to pick up the tab saying that the it is their own fault that it over heated. This is being said from their head mechanic! I work with field equipment for over 35 years and know when something is wrong but they won't even listen/ saying the rad. is clogged to rinse it out. I would stay clear of any diesel engines in these pieces. Just don't have enough ***. I think that you will start hearing more about these in the future.
I do however like the setup and the Kubota GAS engines with the carb setup, many things that they offer, it helps out a lot with labor costs. I'm looking to get the 4500 z with 32.5 Kubota gas engine. Being that I have over $30,000 in options!! You can see a lot of changes in the new line of ventracs with fans on the hydros and a lot bigger radiator, which I think will be a great improvement! I'll let you know how things turn out. good luck!!

My dealer kept me away from the 31 turbo diesel,I'm very grateful to him as that is what I wanted to buy...when I told him I'd service it on or ahead of schedule he took me in the back of the shop and showed me the pile of junk heads,turbos and ventilated engine blocks.All these engines had under 1000 hrs.he then showed me several machines with the 31 gas l/c that were there for service that had 4000 plus hrs and still didnt use oil,and ran like new.Then we fired up his personal 4200 with 10k hours,and it ran like new...I was sold .. He also has machines with the 31 td that will not run cool enough ,brand new high capacity radiators.and everything perfect and after an hour or steady use on 90 degree day they run over 220...like you said briggs is not standing behind these engines at all,they are denying valid warranty claims for turbos,heads,and complete engines.my dealer said if you have to have a diesel get the non turbo ,they are usually good for 2-3000hrs if maintained.

tdhandm

Forum Newbie
Threads
This past summer I saw a TV commercial by Sunset Outdoor Supply (owner Barry Frey) for Ventrac tractors. Bary brought two tractors to my place to demonstrate but the diesel overheated so I ended up buying the Ventrac 4500K along with the seventy two inch mower deck. I wish I had never seen that commercial. I do like the machine very much when it is running but the constant break down and waiting for repairs has caused great buyer remorse. If I had not already got rid of my finish mower and other implements for my compact Kubota tractor I would give up with this machine. It would be worth it to remove the aggravation that has entered my life. Due the large amount of money involved I知 now stuck with something unreliable. I made the mistake of expecting that a mower costing as much or more than a new car would run for a while. I have a thirty year old Gravely tractor that has never gave me a problem except for replacing the battery.