What kind of mower to get for 1/4 acre of grass- hills/turns/slopes/etc

Zimm

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / What kind of mower to get for 1/4 acre of grass- hills/turns/slopes/etc
I just bought a 1/2 acre property and the lawn is a challenge. It's about 1/4 acre of grass, but the lot is on a steep hill and the terrain makes for mowing on about three different elevations with lots of turns, trees, side slopes, etc. I used my self-propelled push mower, but it took 40 mins and was A LOT of work. I don't think my lawn tractor would be of much use either. I'm trying to decide between a compact zero turn (maybe 30" deck?) or a real walk-behind like a commercial unit (scag, etc), but obviously cheaper. I'd like to stay around $2k and be done with my grass in under 20 mins. Ideas?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / What kind of mower to get for 1/4 acre of grass- hills/turns/slopes/etc
I just bought a 1/2 acre property and the lawn is a challenge. It's about 1/4 acre of grass, but the lot is on a steep hill and the terrain makes for mowing on about three different elevations with lots of turns, trees, side slopes, etc. I used my self-propelled push mower, but it took 40 mins and was A LOT of work. I don't think my lawn tractor would be of much use either. I'm trying to decide between a compact zero turn (maybe 30" deck?) or a real walk-behind like a commercial unit (scag, etc), but obviously cheaper. I'd like to stay around $2k and be done with my grass in under 20 mins. Ideas?

If your looking into a commercial unit and want the walk behind and want to stay around or just under the 2K mark try looking at the Toro Turf-Master unit, the MSRP is $1999 but it can be purchased for around the $1700 mark. I replaced a 36" walk behind with the Turf-Master and it a fantastic mower.

Toro | TurfMaster 30" Commercial Walk Behind Mower