2 cycle mixed gas in a 4 stroke

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I ran out of gas in my toro in the middle of a job and dragged it to my trailer to fill in the street in case of spillage and o crab... gas can is nearly empty.

I put the rest of my gas. In the mow and it was not nearly enough so I threw some mixed gas in it to finish the job. The toro sounded smoother(remember I run this WOT). Can this be beneficial for the mower? Or possibly terrible. (Yes WOT is terrible to) I change the oil twice a week with briggs 30w but it really sounded nicer couldn't tell if I got a different amount of power. Just curios

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your four cycle engine does not run hot enough to burn the oil carbon and you will start seeing carbon fouled plugs and if done long enough valve problems. They probably ran smoother due to the fact that the oil sealed the ring/cylinder wall better, as you may have lost some power due to wear. Would not recommend you continue, as you will have maintenance problems in the future.

Tom59

Threads
NO , not short term and it will kill mosquitos. 2 stroke oil WILL burn off in the cylinder its designed too , low ash. But , change plugs after because they will foul.
As for long term probably not the smartest idea. You'd need hotter plugs and that causes issues in and of itself. Smoother won't last long once plugs foul. Nevermind deposits on the valves and piston tops.

afoulk

Threads
The others are right, the ash oil will cause problems in the long term. However, you can mix outboard 2 stroke oil that meets the tcw3 spec. This is an ashless oil and will not cause problems. I use it in my equipment at home and in my car. I mix it, as do most others, at 1oz of oil for every 5 gal of gas. not only does it help keep things lubed better (probably why your mower seemed smoother), but it has some cleaning abilities as well. There is a gentlemen on bobistheoilguy that had been doing this with his construction site air compressors that run all day, and upon tear down, his mechanic said he has never seen such clean combustion Chambers our pistons, let alone not even a ridge worn into the cyl liner. Some use it in their cars to try and get the best mpg they can, but I like using it just from a maintenance stand point. It has to be the tcw3 rated stuff though, its ashless and its made to be burned. This is often the stuff used with snowmobiles and they need something that will burn clean and not gum up the power valves

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The others are right, the ash oil will cause problems in the long term. However, you can mix outboard 2 stroke oil that meets the tcw3 spec. This is an ashless oil and will not cause problems. I use it in my equipment at home and in my car. I mix it, as do most others, at 1oz of oil for every 5 gal of gas. not only does it help keep things lubed better (probably why your mower seemed smoother), but it has some cleaning abilities as well. There is a gentlemen on bobistheoilguy that had been doing this with his construction site air compressors that run all day, and upon tear down, his mechanic said he has never seen such clean combustion Chambers our pistons, let alone not even a ridge worn into the cyl liner. Some use it in their cars to try and get the best mpg they can, but I like using it just from a maintenance stand point. It has to be the tcw3 rated stuff though, its ashless and its made to be burned. This is often the stuff used with snowmobiles and they need something that will burn clean and not gum up the power valves

That's cool I have a gallon of outboard at home ill look and see if its tcw3 rated. If it is I might start using some :)

Carvel Loafer

Threads
Made me remember that years ago we would pour a quart of tranny fluid into the gas tank once or twice a year. Someone told us it cleans up the valves etc.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Made me remember that years ago we would pour a quart of tranny fluid into the gas tank once or twice a year. Someone told us it cleans up the valves etc.

Both my cars have emissions in the middle of summer so my old jeep I pour rubbing alchohol in the day before passes every time

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I pour a gallon of water down the carb on my race car every week. Yes with the engine running. And every 4th week I pour a jug of oil down the carb.

Say I am crazy but thousands of us do it every week.
Ford and gm say to do it in any engine that is ran hard.
My tach reads ten grand on the straight away.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Carvel Loafer

Threads
Of course there are some young felas that are wondering what a caeb is. :)