Hard wired generator

monica123

Threads
How much does it roughly cost to hard wire a generator into your house? Has anyone has this done? I am just wondering what one would be looking at paying.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
How much does it roughly cost to hard wire a generator into your house? Has anyone has this done? I am just wondering what one would be looking at paying.

Got one estimate a few years back, I would supply the transfer switch (about $150 at the time) and labor was $80 first hour, $60 second and any additional hours, if I mounted the transfer switch myself they said 1 1/2 to 3 hrs labor to do all hookups. Minimum charge was to be the hour and a half, and a lot of the time involved was going to be dependent on how many circuits I wanted to power from the transfer switch.

An excellent source of basic info can be found at Diesel Generators Diesel Generator, Best Value

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads

You can get a home generator with transfer switch that comes as a unit. They start around 3-4thousand and there are some additional shipping and installation costs that will vary depending on conditions. These units need to be grouted and wired so depending on where you want them located in proximity to the incoming power would have a lot to do with cost as well as running additonal circuits if you don't size the unit to accomadate the entire house.
The transfer switch means that when the power goes out the generator starts on the power loss, so your lights are out for only seconds. Typically these unit are not retrofittted rather integrated into a new design.

monica123

Threads
Cool, I think I will call around and ask about prices to see what I come up with, can't hurt to ask, that's for sure! I want to be prepared next time.