Walk behind My new Gravely XD3 self-propelled

WriteAway

Threads
Another season of use and generally speaking, quite satisfied with this mower. Side discharge clogging remains problematic if the grass is wet or too long, but if I mow every week in dry grass, it's not an issue. The Subaru engine was problem free, as was the drive system. I have mastered the start procedure so it is only hard to start after it sits unused for 2-3 weeks. Then it takes several tugs to fire.

That said, the spring on the side discharge flap either popped off, or wore through the soft plastic on the flap, leaving it to move unrestrtained back and forth while mowing. I tried to reattach the spring to the flap, no success. I mulched leaves this fall with the flap held by duct tape, and will likely have my dealer look at it when I take it for service.

Overall, very happy with my XD3. :)

JonCr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ended up buying the Ariens version and like it a lot so far. Has good power, mulching, and bagging and I like the one lever height adjustment. One weird thing is the motor surges when there is no load. As soon as I engage the blade, it goes away. I've been trying to decide if that is typical. Does yours do that?

WriteAway

Threads
No blade clutch on mine, and I notice no surging to date, so I can't offer you any help with that. It seems logical that the extra "flywheel mass" of the blade would dampen any surging. Maybe its a quirk with your particular machine, or Ariens changed carb specs for tighter emissions control, I can only guess. Perhaps the dealer can adjust it out, or advise you. Knowledgeable people on here can offer potential assistance as well.

If that is your only issue so far, then that is great! Good luck!

WriteAway

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I ended up buying the Ariens version and like it a lot so far. Has good power, mulching, and bagging and I like the one lever height adjustment. One weird thing is the motor surges when there is no load. As soon as I engage the blade, it goes away. I've been trying to decide if that is typical. Does yours do that?

A surge can happen if blades not engaged sometimes. My brand new mower did that at the dealer. The mechanic said it's normal.

WriteAway

Threads
Another mowing season underway, and my XD3 started up after 7-8 pulls, and ran just a bit ragged. I suspect a new spark plug is in order, plus another tank of fresh premium gas (ethanol-free) and the usual spring maintenance tasks.

I still need to get the side mulching cover/discharge chute fixed. The chute will not go on properly and the cover flaps loosely since the spring became disengaged. Still trying to figure how and where the spring is supposed to connect to the flap. The spring tension is so strong I can not force it back into what looks like a locator hole on the mulching flap. Maybe the dealer can advise me.

Aside from this glitch, I am still glad I bought this mower, and would buy it again with no hesitation.

slapshot

Threads
I have NEVER found anyone that had good luck with Stabil. I have had great success with Ethanol Shield found in Tractor Supply and Menards.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have NEVER found anyone that had good luck with Stabil. I have had great success with Ethanol Shield found in Tractor Supply and Menards.

Stabil works fine for me.

WriteAway

Threads
I have used Stabil for years with no issue in my mowers, motorcycles, snowblower and gas weed trimmer. It is most easily available with good pricing in the stores here in upstate New York.

My XD3's discharge chute is back in place finally, while now I have to adjust the drive belt tension a small amount. Otherwise, it is running strong. The heat and near drought conditions over the past 20 days have required much less mowing, until we received a good soaking on 7/8.

WriteAway

Threads
Now that my XD3 has become an orphan...I can only hope that parts will remain available when needed. I know it is a rebadged Ariens Razor, but the XD has the Subaru engine, and other unknown differences that may complicate replacement parts 5+ years out.

Anyways, I'll just take good care of it and hope for very few major problems going forward.

QuantumRift

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I been reading this thread. I bought a new "Gravely XD3 Self-propelled with elec start" back in 2013. Been goin on 6 years now. I live in Cental Ohio. I use regular gasoline, and always have. I think I used Stabil for the FIRST time over the winter this past winter. Otherwise, I run it until it runs out of fuel, then turn the fuel shutoff. The first summer I had it, I too had that that 'issue' with it starting when its hot. The auto-choke has that lever rod in front of the engine, all you have to is wiggle it as it sticks from time to time. I have give this thing very little maintenance, though I don't uses it heavily during mowing seasons here. The prior owner left a Craftsman 22" sittin in the weeds when they moved out in 2012, and I resurrected it and it's been my goto mower. I've run it on gasoline and propane. But that's the subject of another discussion.

I finally FINALLY got the oil changed this afternoon. Yea, I changed it I think, after the first season on the original oil fill, and somehow managed to forget to do it each season. I had used the battery-starter but I had to buy a new battery (about $13) and after it went bad, I just pulls start it. It's never failed to start on the 2nd pull. And did I mention that I just do not USE STABIL? Well this past winter. but I don't .I started it up today, and as it was running, I removed the air filter and inspect/clean or replace, and then I use carb cleaner and shoot several good shots into the engine (so as not to stall it completely)...about 10 shots and she's running fine. I finally resharpened the blade as well.

As for using it, yea, its a rear wheel mower. I bought it primarily for my wife to use, and I could use the Craftsman. But I've been using it more. It is a HEAVY, bulky mower. It threw the drive belt of last year and I used it for two weeks as a push mower (MISTAKE) and it is a beast to push. Would I buy it again? No. I have three acres that I use push mowers for trimming (John Deer 23 HP garden tractor is the main mower), and like I said, I kinda prefer the lighter Craftsman. But that's me. I finally got under it and put the drive belt back on, no problems since.

As long as you have Internet access, you'll find parts for this thing. It's built like a tank and can take a beating. Problem is, it's as heavy as a tank as well. LOL.

QuantumRift, Central OHIO

Now that my XD3 has become an orphan...I can only hope that parts will remain available when needed. I know it is a rebadged Ariens Razor, but the XD has the Subaru engine, and other unknown differences that may complicate replacement parts 5+ years out.

Anyways, I'll just take good care of it and hope for very few major problems going forward.