Repairs MTD Yard Machine, deck belt burn up after replacing and sharpening blades

jg1000c

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / MTD Yard Machine, deck belt burn up after replacing and sharpening blades
Hi,

I need some guidance with figuring out why my new deck belt totally burned up immediately with a lot of smoke after replacing it and lowering the deck. The burned area was by the front power pulley. It has the 2 other pulleys for each of the two blades. I sharpened the blades and washed\spray painted the deck before replacing the belt. I did get the deck wet and it did chip paint. I read somewhere that the chipped paint could have played a roll in the belt burning up. The belt looks properly installed as well as the deck. I have a few questions:

1. How easily should the blades rotate with the belt off? I can turn them but it takes some force. I am wondering if I didn't install them properly.
2. How\What type of lubricant should I use to lubricate the parts in the pulley to help the blades spin easier?
3. How do I know if the issue is with the front power pulley?
4. The belt I used as a replacement was a Oregon brand that was thicker than the last replacement. Could that have been the issue? It appeared to fit and had the same part num.

Thanks,
-jg