Snapper Rototiller Start

rmclendon61@gmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was just "gifted" a Snapper Rototiller. Could not pull the rope to turn the engine. I carefully turned the crankshaft with a pipe wrench. It got past the obstruction and now seems free as can be. It has a B&S 5hp engine (Model 135202) that would not crank. After a thorough cleaning of the carburetor and fuel tank and some fresh gas I was encouraged by a POP and attempt to crank (using ether). Finally it would run a few seconds on full choke, but when opening the choke at all, it would quit. There seems to be no mixture adjustment on this model. After much sweat and sad faces it finally would crank and run, but will not start without ether. Any suggestions? Yes I did put in a new spark plug.

boB McLendon
904-504-8908

rmclendon61@gmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't know exactly which carb you have on your unit, but it definitely needs a good cleaning and if it is a pulsa-jet carb you need to replace the pump diaphragm and tank gasket. This manual might help.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12502267/B&S Service Manuals/01_270962SingleCylinderLHead.pdf

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Mine is one of the Pulsa-jet models and I have installed a new diaphragm. I cleaned the pick-up tube screen, but was not successful in getting it to come out (for further cleaning). There is another 'hang-e down' piece next to the pick-up tube that is covered with a very fine screen (molded to fit) and I cleaned that too.

Thanks again especially for the manual.

boB
904-504-8908

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You should have two pick-up tubes. The long tube draws fuel from the tank to the secondary tank. (The small one under the carb). If when you take the carb off the tank this small tank has fuel in it the the pump diaphragm is working properly. No fuel means the pump is not working. Fuel is then drawn up the short tube into the carb. Make sure that the gasket between the carb and the tank is sealing properly, or the system will not work right.

Threads
I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. :smile: