HRR2168VKA rear wheels locking up - dealer can't seem to fix

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / HRR2168VKA rear wheels locking up - dealer can't seem to fix
I will do that Robert. I have never been given any sort of documentation from either shop for the work done. I will need to see if they are willing to make me copies of the work they've performed.

Most dealers keep up with repair history on a computer, so should be able to pull it up. Since a Honda Service Rep has been involved, there will be a paper trail. With any luck, your patience will be rewarded. I genuniely believe both the dealer and the Honda rep want the same thing, and that's to get this mower working properly and make you a happy customer. Best of luck.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got the mower back from the shop a few days ago. After speaking with Honda, they adjusted the cable again. They also lubed it. At first it seemed that the problem was corrected, but yesterday it started binding up again. A couple of times while running, the smartdrive control stuck in the down position and the mower would try and take off on me. Even before the lock-ups started, oftentimes when taking the mower out to use, the smartdrive paddle would take some effort to depress the first time, as if it were stuck in the upright position. After that it would function normally.

short video from yesterday

Haven't watched the video yet but my smart. Drive paddle would stick found out the little rubber hand grips worked there way into the paddle and made it hard to depress it check it out :)

NJsnapper

Threads
Ric- I still think its smart drive related. Mine did the *exact* same as yours with an ever so slight push on my smart drive. It can't be coincidence. Ill bet if you disconnect the smart drive, the mower will roll backwards freely

RicB

Threads
Yep, checked that out already and have plenty of clearance between the grip and paddle. I think that NJsnapper in the post above has the right idea.

Haven't watched the video yet but my smart. Drive paddle would stick found out the little rubber hand grips worked there way into the paddle and made it hard to depress it check it out :)

RicB

Threads
NJsnapper, I think that you are right about that. The smartdrive paddle has had a "sticky" feeling to it since before these lock-ups ever even occurred. I played with it for a few minutes this evening. Started out by grabbing the bar below the paddle and it rolled backward normally a couple of feet. I then stopped and depressed the paddle a few times while it sat still. I let go of the paddle "completely" and tried to roll backward again, but the wheels were locked this time. I operated the paddle a few more times and it unlocked. Either the cable is catching or something inside of the smartdrive control is.
Ric- I still think its smart drive related. Mine did the *exact* same as yours with an ever so slight push on my smart drive. It can't be coincidence. Ill bet if you disconnect the smart drive, the mower will roll backwards freely

tee3

Threads
Most dealers keep up with repair history on a computer, so should be able to pull it up. Since a Honda Service Rep has been involved, there will be a paper trail. With any luck, your patience will be rewarded. I genuniely believe both the dealer and the Honda rep want the same thing, and that's to get this mower working properly and make you a happy customer. Best of luck.

I don't know about that because I got one of them in the shed that has about 5 or 6 hours of use on it. We took it to the Honda dealer once. Five or six weeks later when it was ready we paid him $51 plus to put the belt back on. The second time I used it and again the belt came off. My little wife said go buy her another electric mower like the one she had been using for seven years with no problems. I bought a shop manual and if I cared to spend a couple of hours or more replacing the belt about every time I used the mower then the problem would be solved. That might be his problem because I doubt if some of the Honda dealers can put a belt on this mower.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know about that because I got one of them in the shed that has about 5 or 6 hours of use on it. We took it to the Honda dealer once. Five or six weeks later when it was ready we paid him $51 plus to put the belt back on. The second time I used it and again the belt came off. My little wife said go buy her another electric mower like the one she had been using for seven years with no problems. I bought a shop manual and if I cared to spend a couple of hours or more replacing the belt about every time I used the mower then the problem would be solved. That might be his problem because I doubt if some of the Honda dealers can put a belt on this mower.

With practice it can take 5 mins to replace the best but that's besides the point

BillE507

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you to all who have replied to this thread!

Long story-short: HRR2169VLA, purchased last July (2015) and used it for about 30 mows. It had always been a real bear to pull backwards. I tried some at various locations (ie-HD, Honda dealers, etc), all seemed to need more than a gentle tug to move backwards. I just figured that this was just the nature of the beast.

Fast forward to this spring. Rear wheel locked up, but after mowing a bit, they did ‘loosen up’ a bit. BUT, have developed a stuck carb float, I went to see my local Honda repair shop. I did mentioned how difficult it was to pull backwards. Man said I’ll check it out while I have it.

Get the mower back, yes the carb was repaired and yes, it was still difficult to pull. That and they would lock up after setting until the next mow job.

Found this forum and this thread! Pulled the drive shafts…lo and behold the axles were as dry as a desert well. Cleaned everything, and ‘polished’ (there was a tiny bit of galling) the axles areas where they enter into the bearings. Lubed all, put it back together.

It now takes less than the ‘factory spec’ of 13# (actually 12# by my scale).

Needles to say, Bill is a HAPPY CAMPER!

Thanx again for everyone’s help!

Bill

civic

Threads
I also want to thank this thread. I have had the same problem with rear wheels locking up for several years. I removed the bushing cleaned and greased the bushing and shaft. I put a fish scale and it takes 10 lbs. max to pull back. This lawn mower has never been this easy to pull back.

BillE507

Forum Newbie
Threads
I went a bit further into the “lubrication” situation.

After a time, the rear wheels AGAIN started to lock-up. Did the remove and re-lube procedure and then looked a bit closer at the situation/problem.

I drilled/tap (8-32) hole in the inboard edge of the “adjuster arm”. I drilled as close as possible to the 'shoulder” by the bearing. Then using a chain saw bar grease gun I can easily shove some more grease into the area. Too many 'pumps' will kick the grease seal out of position.

The ideal spot to do this would have been to use a Zerk fitting that would empty right into the bearing area. But, there just isn't that much meat to drill and tap, even using the smallest of Zerk (I could find).

One thing that caused me some concern is that Honda says to use #2 Lithium based product. I think a more heavier 'grease' might be more 'proper' for this area.

Whether or not this is a cure-all, only time will tell. But after a couple of months and a couple of 'pumps'...all is well.

Hopefully this makes sense (I'm not the best when comes to 'tech writting).

Bill