Scams when buying a used mower: BEWARE!

johnathanRyan

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's good information, Thank you so much. I always prefer agrisupply store to purchase, reliable and good service

Kial

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good to know. This guy probably has a bunch of other appliances in his "storage unit".

MAINTMAN

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have repaired mowers for 40 years and my suggestion is to buy a new mower because many used mowers have been abused and have not received proper maintenance.

Gator325

Threads
I saw this on another forum and thought everyone should see it. Buying a used mower online can be risky!

"Just wanted to update you all on the mower I was considering buying online. It turns out the guy I was dealing with was trying to pull a scam. This mower was found on Craigslist San Antonio.

He had sent me pictures, model numbers and a storage company that was suppose to be storing the mower for him, Said he had to move to the UK and had left the mower with a secured moving company called SafeTransports in Amarillo Texas which is over 600 miles from Houston.

He advertised the mower being in San Antonio. He said SafeTransport would deliver the mower to me and give me 7 days to have it checked out before they would release the funds to him. He even was willing to pay shipping free and free pick up if I decided not to buy the mower. All I had to do was send a Money Gram to a guy at SafeTransports in the UK. Yeah Right!!!

None of this was mentioned when I first contacted him and before I posted this message.

I am a retired police officer and this brought up a lot of red flags so I asked for the serial number. Told him the bank needed it for the loan. He stalled by sending me the model number but later sent me a serial number.

I called Exmark and they told me it was a 2001 model and not a 2007 model. Exmark provided me with the previous owner, US Lawns out of Wisconsin. I called them and they told me they had traded in a bunch mowers last year and all had over 1500 hours on them. None were 2007 models.

I contacted the selller with the information I had obtained and guess what? He quit responding to my email. Email has even been turned off.

So buyer beware when dealing with used mowers. Never buy site unseen and make sure you are dealing with the owner in person. Call the manufacturer and check on the equipment. they will help you determine the original buyer and any service on the mower they have on file.

I ended up buying a new Scag."

(Online lawn mower sales scams. Be aware! | Lawn Care Business Marketing Tips - GopherHaul Blog)

Gator325

Threads
Buying anything used seems to be you are buying someone else's problems. There always seems to be that one thing the seller forgets to tell you.

khr76

Threads
thanks dude for this information , dont love to lose my money on scam

gsim

Threads
Tried shopping for used comml mower on Craigslist and finally found one here in my home town. Was looking at one in Savannah, GA and another one in E. Kentucky. Former guy was straight up, but pulled to give to his son after we had negotiated a price. Big Toro diesel, 72" deck. Latter guy was honest too. We negotiated price, but he was mowing his place for last time before I was to come get it, and PTO clutch burnt out. Uh oh! John Deere. Bend over. Heart attack price for new one @ over $450. Sale fell thru. I bought locally, Kubota diesel powered Grasshopper 930D. I prefer front mount deck, long chassis comml mowers for ease of access to deck, less crowded design. Scarce everywhere, due no doubt to higher new prices, and larger storage area needed. Hard to find any good ones, most have high hours.