John Deere JA65 drive belt replacement

KevHe

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is the easiest way to replace drive belt on a JA65 mower? looks like I need to take engine off ,has anyone done this? Thanks

Ifixdit

Threads
What is the easiest way to replace drive belt on a JA65 mower? looks like I need to take engine off ,has anyone done this? Thanks

You certainly should not have to remove the engine to change a drive belt. Remove the belt off the engine pulley first. You may need to drop the engine pulley to get the belt from around the belt guides. Once you have the belt cleared of the engine pulley, release the belt from the idler pulleys under the center of the mower. Once the tension is released there, take the belt off the transmission pulley and you're done. Good luck!

KevHe

Forum Newbie
Threads
You certainly should not have to remove the engine to change a drive belt. Remove the belt off the engine pulley first. You may need to drop the engine pulley to get the belt from around the belt guides. Once you have the belt cleared of the engine pulley, release the belt from the idler pulleys under the center of the mower. Once the tension is released there, take the belt off the transmission pulley and you're done. Good luck!

Thanks,I'll try what u said and let u know if it worked.

KevHe

Forum Newbie
Threads
That would be great. Hope that works for you!

Sorry it took so long to reply but just got mower back from John Deere shop.After last post spent 2hrs trying to get belt on and you do need to take engine off housing,but doing alone would be difficult without doing damage.I gave up and took it to John Deere.Total cost of labor 55.88,took 2 guys almost an hour and they knew what to do.Good mower but stupid design on belt drive.Thank heavens this is only the 3rd time I've paid for service and the mower is a 1999 model.

Ifixdit

Threads
Sorry it took so long to reply but just got mower back from John Deere shop.After last post spent 2hrs trying to get belt on and you do need to take engine off housing,but doing alone would be difficult without doing damage.I gave up and took it to John Deere.Total cost of labor 55.88,took 2 guys almost an hour and they knew what to do.Good mower but stupid design on belt drive.Thank heavens this is only the 3rd time I've paid for service and the mower is a 1999 model.

Glad you got the mower fixed but sorry it was such a hassle. I guess I'll strike buying this model mower off my bucket list. What were the engineers thinking calling for an engine to be removed to change a deck belt. Hopefully that belt will last for many years to come!!

Baldwinbuddy

Forum Newbie
Threads

There is no way you should have to take the engine off to replace the self-propulsion drive belt.

You should remove the mower blade for easier access but the belt could be replaced without that removal if you are agile enough. Once the blade is removed, detach the guide (part M118328) and expose the pulleys. Make sure the tension is released from the "driven/idler" pulley by the drive handle bail being released. Re-thread the drive pulley belt and then loop the belt over the drive pulley. Re-tighten the loosened guide, masking sure the belt will run freely without chaffing on the sides of the guide/pulleys. Next, pull the new drive belt over the "driven/idler" pulley and test the tension using the drive "cable/lever" mechanism up on the handle. If cable adjustment does not fully tension/release the propulsion drive, the cable likely needs to be be adjusted (shortened, lengthened or lubricated).

Ta Da! No removal of the engine!