Repairs Craftsman starter problems

SamSayger

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've had several different Craftsman riding lawnmowers and every one of them has had (I now have two - a '98 and a 2003) problems with starting. I have to sit there and "bump" the ignition repeatedly until finally it spins enough to start. Seems to me the starters are not powerful enough. I have a new battery on one of my current mowers and a 2 month old one on the other. Most of the time, I have to put my big charger on them and let it charge for a time and then even put the charger on "Starting" for it to start - and IT STILL does the "Bump" thing. Meaning, I have to continually hit the starter and listen to it engage but not spin until it finally does spin- They both start easily when this happens but the starter problem is consistent - and as I said, this is just two of several Craftsman mowerw I've had.
Any suggestions out there??
Thanks
Samsayger

dec967

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not big on Craftsman mowers but I would check/clean all wires to starter and battery including ground. I would also check the compression release valve and make sure its operating properly.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because you don't give us any engine model numbers, make, age, hours, we can only give you very general info. From what you are telling us, I would suggest two things to do. First make sure that the ground between the starter and engine block is very clean and tight. Second, I would check the valve clearance.

thomas boyd

Forum Newbie
Threads
actually the starters on these are not likely to go out easy,but the starter sileniod will its cheap and easy to fix, also if you go to sears its about 75$ but if you go to your local lawn and small engine store you can get on for just over 12$ dollars follow the red wire from your starter to the sileniod which sould be mounted on the side wall two nut and two plugs to remove.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the starter is trying to turn means that the solenoid is working properly, no need to replace.

thomas boyd

Forum Newbie
Threads
well then go grt a starter for 170$ and let me know how that works out clearly that the starter is turning over then if that does not work go get the selinoid for 12$ and hopefully things will be ok for you I just thought since i am a machine repairman and certified with automobiles that i might be able to help no books needed.

My_guy99

Threads
well then go grt a starter for 170$ and let me know how that works out clearly that the starter is turning over then if that does not work go get the selinoid for 12$ and hopefully things will be ok for you I just thought since i am a machine repairman and certified with automobiles that i might be able to help no books needed.

I agree! It's turning, sounds like the start not the problem!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Why get a starter or solenoid, the starter kicks in and engages the flywheel. The BUMP he is talking about is the engine reaching the compression stroke and not being able to get passed it. As I said earlier, check the valve clearance. If they are not set correctly, the compression release can not work properly, causing the piston to stop. I get one of these about once every two weeks, but then again I'm just a retired old fart who has forgotten more than I know.

SamSayger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Why get a starter or solenoid, the starter kicks in and engages the flywheel. The BUMP he is talking about is the engine reaching the compression stroke and not being able to get passed it. As I said earlier, check the valve clearance. If they are not set correctly, the compression release can not work properly, causing the piston to stop. I get one of these about once every two weeks, but then again I'm just a retired old fart who has forgotten more than I know.

Hey, all you guys are great!! Wish we could get together and have coffee sometimes - I think all you folks had good suggestions but it looks like the "valve clearance" may be my problem. Now, if I only KNEW HOW TO FIX IT, that would be great!! Is this procedure outlined in the manual which came with the thing by any chance? I've gotten so LD in my old age, I cannot read those things and come out with any sense at all!
This Ol' Misippy Boy thanks y'all very much.
Sam Sayger
Hernando, MS

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As I said in post #3 give us the engine model numbers. With them I should be able to get you a service manual. With that and the u-tube videos you should be able to adjust them. Without them I can do nothing but guess.