Repairs Husqvarna Z5426 transmission trouble (EZT slipping)

forsbergt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I just found this forum and this is my first post. Unfortunatly I found this while researching a problem.
I have a Husqvarna zero turn Z5426. Five mowing seasons and 150 hours on it and now the right side is not moving.
If I jack it up it will run but when a load is put on it nothing. I did notice that the fan blades on the drive pulley
of the EZT are gone, broken off. I must have thrown a branch up into it at some point. Anyway, what are the odds of
replacing the filter and fluid would get this going again? Does anyone have any experince rebuilding these?
Seem like after purchasing all the parts I'd only be saving a little over a hundred dollars. a new unit
(ZC-AHBB-3D5A-2DPX) runs $465. Also if I decide to change it out myself how long does this job take?

Thanks for any insite you can give.
Tom

forsbergt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I jumped in and had the Hyro Gear out in only about 30 minutes. I may get lucky. The drive pulley splines had striped and it was just spining on the input shaft.
The question now is did the input shaft wear to much for a new pulley to fit snug for the long haul. If not and I need to replace the input shaft, well that means opening the gearbox.
So then were talking new seals, bearings, oii and filter. I'm leaning towards gambling $25 on a new pulley and seeing how long it will last. If it strips after a few hours well I guess I'll
Get a new unit for a little over $500 shipped.
Any opinions?

thanks.

phrose

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Husqvarna Z5426 transmission trouble (EZT slipping)
Hi all, I just found this forum and this is my first post. Unfortunatly I found this while researching a problem.
I have a Husqvarna zero turn Z5426. Five mowing seasons and 150 hours on it and now the right side is not moving.
If I jack it up it will run but when a load is put on it nothing. I did notice that the fan blades on the drive pulley
of the EZT are gone, broken off. I must have thrown a branch up into it at some point. Anyway, what are the odds of
replacing the filter and fluid would get this going again? Does anyone have any experince rebuilding these?
Seem like after purchasing all the parts I'd only be saving a little over a hundred dollars. a new unit
(ZC-AHBB-3D5A-2DPX) runs $465. Also if I decide to change it out myself how long does this job take?

Thanks for any insite you can give.
Tom

Tom - I have the same zero and same problem. Blades engage but mower will not go. I need information too. Weakness in machine??? Paul

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
EZT's are in almost every residential ZTR. If it was a big problem with the drive they would have a fix for it. I would think you needed to replace your drive belt and did not notice it. Hot drives cause lots of problems. I had until this year the RZ5424 and used it to cut lots of lawns. I put right at 2000 hours on my drives without this problem. I did change my drive belt many times and normally before it broke. I could feel the power getting lower and would field replace it. Normally around the 200-hour mark. EZT's are great drives but as with everything, you can get a lemon every once in a while. I also changed the oil in mine regularly or at least after every time I buried it in water in the creak I mowed around. With the rapid cooling of the drive, it would suck water in the drive through the overflow valve that would break when too much suction was put on it.

Southland

Threads
EZT's are in almost every residential ZTR. If it was a big problem with the drive they would have a fix for it. I would think you needed to replace your drive belt and did not notice it. Hot drives cause lots of problems. I had until this year the RZ5424 and used it to cut lots of lawns. I put right at 2000 hours on my drives without this problem. I did change my drive belt many times and normally before it broke. I could feel the power getting lower and would field replace it. Normally around the 200-hour mark. EZT's are great drives but as with everything, you can get a lemon every once in a while. I also changed the oil in mine regularly or at least after every time I buried it in water in the creak I mowed around. With the rapid cooling of the drive, it would suck water in the drive through the overflow valve that would break when too much suction was put on it.

Wow, 2000 hours is a lot. This give me hope for the EZTs on my Troy-Bilt. They are at 320+ hours. One of the EZTs has the fan blades broken off, so I've got both removed and I'm going to replace the oil in them tonight along with the broken fan. Both are still strong with no performance problems, so maybe they will last a long time.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wow, 2000 hours is a lot. This give me hope for the EZTs on my Troy-Bilt. They are at 320+ hours. One of the EZTs has the fan blades broken off, so I've got both removed and I'm going to replace the oil in them tonight along with the broken fan. Both are still strong with no performance problems, so maybe they will last a long time.

I run synthetic Valvoline 20w50 oil it is the best I could find. Take care of what you have and it will take care of you.