New lawn tractor advice

otago79

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a new home late last fall and am in need of a mower. I've got about 3/4 to 1 acre of grass, and am not looking for anything too fancy. Being a new home-owner, the budget is also pretty tight. I've been borrowing a push mower and the job has been taking just a bit longer than I'd like, so I'm on the lookout for a lawn tractor. I'd also like to use it to deal with a pretty significant amount of leaves in the fall(a job I like even less than mowing). After determining that my budget is around $13-$1400(pushing it a bit there as well) I've been looking at the two following mowers:

1: Cub Cadet LTX 1040

2: Craftsman YT 3000

Both have a 42 in deck. The Cub Cadet has a Kohler engine, auto transmission, etc. The craftsman is a hydrostatic, 21 Hp Briggs engine, etc.

They are both 1399 at the moment, and each has its advantages. The Craftsman has the hydro, tight turn radius, and cut in reverse, all of which might be helpful on my lawn which has quite a few tight spots. In addition, it might be easier to find a used bagger in the fall for those leaves.
At the same time, I have always been a bit skeptical of the Craftsman brand and sears in general. I have also not had good luck with Briggs engines on other equipment I've owned and used. As far as superficial quality, the Cub seems to be higher quality at a glance(MUCH nicer control panel, ergos, hour meter, etc), plus the Kohler.

So what do people think? Any and all advice would be helpful, including other suggestions in my price range.

A few more things--again, about 3/4- 1 acre of grass, only a little bit of steep mowing, and a bit bumpy in spots.

Thanks in advance!

possum

Threads
Both of them are slightly gussied up standard lawn tractors. Both of them are everywhere and mow untold millions of acres of grass every season. One has a better warranty. The other has what some would argue is a better power train. Both will do the job. Neither one will stand up to rough treatment or bad operators. Find your service centers for these two machines. Check them out. Buy the one with the best possible outcome for you if you run into warranty or WOOPS I broke it issues. Bear in mind broken lawn tractors do not move themselves to service centers. Check into a local dealer service center and see if a purchase from this type of place might just be a better deal in the long run. Both those tractors can be bought just like they are or a bit different from any MTD dealer, Cub Cadet dealer, or Husqvarna dealer. Many dealers in this day and age handle several different brands. Many different models and prices for folks from all walks of life. Check around and buy one that gives you the best chance of success.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just purchased a new home late last fall and am in need of a mower. I've got about 3/4 to 1 acre of grass, and am not looking for anything too fancy. Being a new home-owner, the budget is also pretty tight. I've been borrowing a push mower and the job has been taking just a bit longer than I'd like, so I'm on the lookout for a lawn tractor. I'd also like to use it to deal with a pretty significant amount of leaves in the fall(a job I like even less than mowing). After determining that my budget is around $13-$1400(pushing it a bit there as well) I've been looking at the two following mowers:

1: Cub Cadet LTX 1040

2: Craftsman YT 3000

Both have a 42 in deck. The Cub Cadet has a Kohler engine, auto transmission, etc. The craftsman is a hydrostatic, 21 Hp Briggs engine, etc.

They are both 1399 at the moment, and each has its advantages. The Craftsman has the hydro, tight turn radius, and cut in reverse, all of which might be helpful on my lawn which has quite a few tight spots. In addition, it might be easier to find a used bagger in the fall for those leaves.
At the same time, I have always been a bit skeptical of the Craftsman brand and sears in general. I have also not had good luck with Briggs engines on other equipment I've owned and used. As far as superficial quality, the Cub seems to be higher quality at a glance(MUCH nicer control panel, ergos, hour meter, etc), plus the Kohler.

So what do people think? Any and all advice would be helpful, including other suggestions in my price range.

A few more things--again, about 3/4- 1 acre of grass, only a little bit of steep mowing, and a bit bumpy in spots.

Thanks in advance!

I have the ltx 1040 I got it new 6 weeks ago and have cut around 250 bank owned homes with it that's more citing than you will do in five years just doing your yard.
For the money this is a very good mower I work this mower hard you could say I abuse it bad.
I have has no trouble with it at all not even a belt yet.

The steering is very smooth. Does good on hills.
Easy on the back and body being in 10 hours a day.

Just a good mower built very well

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oh and you can cut in reverse

The control panel will flash the oil light and tell you to change the oil.

Turns very tight

Has cruise control.

otago79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the feedback. Any idea which baggers are compatible with the Cub? Would any MTD bagger work?

One last model as well: just took a look at the John Deere 105 today. It's 100 more than the other two, seems well built, but has an engine that is less powerful and I'm not sure who makes it for Deere. Would it be a JD branded Briggs? If so, what are people's thoughts on the JD tractor? Are you just paying a premium for the name, or are they truly better? Again, thanks for your input.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Buyer beware stay away from the over priced junk deere

otago79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, that was kinda what I was thinking, but wondered what others thought

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Possum's advice good. I have the dyt 4000 and the Intek 24 is fragile, but the 3 bagger is great in fall on dry and frosty leaf pickup. Maintain and talk gently to the Crafstman. I would choose a V Kohler with hydraulic lifters if avail. Neighbor's is older and just keeps running, although there are some bad vibes in the forum on both.

TnHusky

Threads
Thanks, that was kinda what I was thinking, but wondered what others thought

I wrote up a compare between the JD and the Husqvarna mowers and I know I'm just a ordinary homeowner but I like to think that I do a lot of research before buying anything, not just mowers. With that being said the YTH24K48 fit's the bill really good. I think if you'd look at this mower you'd be well pleased at the job this thing will do. Has the beefed up Tuff Tq trans, 24hp V-twin Kohler engine that has plenty of power and the mower is very comfortable as well.
Now you can spend more money and get a locking diff and a Kaw engine on a Husqvarna but If your not driving up hill a lot I'd choose the YTH24K48 then. :thumbsup: