Reviving a Tecumseh H60

CreativeDad

Forum Newbie
Threads
About 8 years ago, I purchased a used chipper/shredder for my yard. I used it a few times and it's been in dry storage since then.

What should I do to revive the machine? It has a Tecumseh H60 75563V engine. From the condition of the entire machine, I'd say it's no more than 12 years old. It ran well when I did use it. I seem to remember it was difficult to start the last time I tried it (about 8 years ago). The engine is very clean, no leaks.

I've not worked on small engines before but have experience in other mechanical/technical/etc. repairs.

I did search through FAQs and forum posts but didn't see anything about this situation. Thanks.

Paul

LakeRat1

Threads
Well a LOT is going to depend on what shape it was in when you stored it, if you ran all the gas out of the Carb.
that will be Good, if it had a full tank of gas & it set there for 6 years, your Carb. will most likely have to be taken down
and cleaned, You might try putting a can of seafoam into the gas tank with a qt of gas, that may clean it up, Jusy Maybe,

Other than the fuel problem u may have, You need to change the oil, and u should be in good shape

Rat

CreativeDad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well a LOT is going to depend on what shape it was in when you stored it, if you ran all the gas out of the Carb.
that will be Good, if it had a full tank of gas & it set there for 6 years, your Carb. will most likely have to be taken down
and cleaned, You might try putting a can of seafoam into the gas tank with a qt of gas, that may clean it up, Jusy Maybe,

Other than the fuel problem u may have, You need to change the oil, and u should be in good shape

Rat

Thanks for the reply. I seem to remember I did run the tank completely empty before I stored it. Either way, the tank was empty. I noticed the choke and throttle were stuck so I cleaned the carburetor. Everything moves freely now. I made sure to clean out the needle valve at the bottom of the float cap. I changed the oil. Spark plug and air filter looked OK so I left those.

I put about two tablespoons of Seafoam and a half gallon of unleaded in the tank. Pulls no problem but won't turn over. I pulled the spark plug and tried to see if I got spark when I pulled but I'm not sure if I'm doing that right.

Not sure where to go from here. Thanks for any help.

Paul

Last edited:

LakeRat1

Threads
You don't have to worry about putting to much sea foam in your gas, this spring when i went to use my Pressure Washer it was running very ruff, I had some sea foam in the gas, but it was still running very ruff at idel, i poured about 1/2 a bottle of sea foam and in about 5 min it went to Purring like a Cat, would crank on the first pull, any time i think i have a carb. problem or gas problem on any of my small motors that is the first thing i try before doing anything else, it really worls on Outboard Motors that have set up,

Rat