Kohler Courage Engines/cracked block

mcguffey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it just the single cylinder engines, or is the twin v Courage a problem also ?? Looking to buy a twin cylinder Craftsman gs6500 with a 26 hp Kohler Courage engine, am I safe or are they a problem also ?? Thanks for anybody's help !! Larry

TnHusky

Threads
Larry I think you will be safe with the twin cylinders. I even think Kohler has solved the engine block deal on the singles as well. It was improper tq of the bolts holding the block together that snuck through the building process I think in a china plant if I'm not mistaken. The twins are mfg'd in the USA I'm pretty sure. I also did a lot of research and actually new of first hand failure of a single engine from a co-worker but again after a lot of research pinned it down just to the singles.
I spoke to 2 different independent dealers that use's Courage engines and they both assured that the single cylinders had problems in the past but had been fixed and that they hadn't had any problems with the bigger (Twins Cylinders) engines. I personally have the 24hp Kohler and it has tons of power and tq.

Rokon

Threads
Had a 17hp Courage on a Gravely, and a 19hp Courage on a Troybilt come in back to back. Both with cracked blocks. Both were of the 2006 vintage.

chance123

Threads
I have had many of these engines fail (Too many)

mcguffey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had a 17hp Courage on a Gravely, and a 19hp Courage on a Troybilt come in back to back. Both with cracked blocks. Both were of the 2006 vintage.

Were these twins or single cylinder Courage engines ?? Thanks

mcguffey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Larry I think you will be safe with the twin cylinders. I even think Kohler has solved the engine block deal on the singles as well. It was improper tq of the bolts holding the block together that snuck through the building process I think in a china plant if I'm not mistaken. The twins are mfg'd in the USA I'm pretty sure. I also did a lot of research and actually new of first hand failure of a single engine from a co-worker but again after a lot of research pinned it down just to the singles.
I spoke to 2 different independent dealers that use's Courage engines and they both assured that the single cylinders had problems in the past but had been fixed and that they hadn't had any problems with the bigger (Twins Cylinders) engines. I personally have the 24hp Kohler and it has tons of power and tq.

Thank You TnHusky, I appreciate the info !!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a 19hp single 6 weeks old 200 hours on it no trouble yet. Have not even done a valve adjust

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))