Kohler Courage SV600 - closed throttle

shauncavett

Forum Newbie
Threads
Long story short...the throttle plate on my carb stays closed at all times. It appears a spring is missing or something.

Long story - My brother in law is our default mechanic who decided the carb kit was needed because my SV600 would not turn over. It will crank, but not start. Carb kit came in and I can't get my brother in law to call me back. As a result, I'm trying to install the new carb. Upon carb installation, i found something other than the carb is causing the throttle to stay closed. There very well could be a completely different issue.

I have attached a few pictures for what it's worth.

Any help will be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3667.jpg
    IMG_3667.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3668.jpg
    IMG_3668.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3669.jpg
    IMG_3669.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3670.jpg
    IMG_3670.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 63

chance123

Threads
Do you have the throttle control in the run position? Also, see what happens when you put your throttle control to the "choke" position and see if the choke butterfly closes.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looking at the photo's I can't see the governor spring, but then, I am old and my eye's are no longer good..!.

shauncavett

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you have the throttle control in the run position? Also, see what happens when you put your throttle control to the "choke" position and see if the choke butterfly closes.

The throttle plate stays closed even when I move the throttle lever up and down. When I push the throttle lever to the choke position, it closes the choke plate.

The rod connecting to the throttle plate seems like it's not attached properly or is missing something....

shauncavett

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking at the photo's I can't see the governor spring, but then, I am old and my eye's are no longer good..!.

the choke rod has a spring on it...but the rod to the throttle has no spring.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Photo show's (h) governor spring, do you have it..?

Attachments

• kohler.png
    kohler.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 66

shauncavett

Forum Newbie
Threads
Photo show's (h) governor spring, do you have it..?

The governor spring is connected under the speed control bracket. Everything shown in the parts diagram is on my lawn mower.

I didn't watch my brother in law remove the old carb...so I didn't pay attention to how the linkages were removed...or how they were connected prior to removal.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is throttle linkage (e) fitted to governor lever (b)...?

chance123

Threads
the choke rod has a spring on it...but the rod to the throttle has no spring.

Actually there "is" a spring on the throttle linkage. This spring is to keep play out of between the carb and the governor arm for smoother running.

Try moving the governor arm by hand to see if it moves freely. You should be able to grab the throttle linkage (closest to the engine) and it should move back and forth freely. If it doesn't, find out what it is hanging up on. When doing this, have your throttle control at "low" speed. When things are correct, and you move your throttle control to fast (or choke) you should feel some resistance when trying to move the throttle linkage. This resistance is your governor spring doing its job.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is a spring on the throttle rod in the photo 1