Mulching plug for a Honda HR215

net-work

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone anywhere know about where I could find/buy a mulching plug for a Honda HR215? Ideally I would like the mulching kit (includes the two blades and stiffener) but I really need the mulching plug. I'll even offer a $20 PayPal bounty on one.
Thanks. Regards.

Jerry

Henry47

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mulching plug is no longer made for the HR214 or HR215 Honda. I have been bagging grass for over 20 years and got tired of it and lost a bid for a mulching plug and two mulching blade kits last week which went for $157.00.....best bid I ever lost. I ordered the mulching blade kit ( comes without a plug ....you get a heavy metal spacer, two bolts, two special spring washers, and a mulching blade which mounts above your regular blade.....you should change your regular blade while you're at it ) and just in case I ordered a side-shooter adapter.....I DIDN'T NEED THE SIDE SHOOTER ADAPTER.
Removed bolts and old blade and blade holder......cleaned everything good and installed mulching blade kit and also new lower blade. Took off rear bag and cut my wet lawn ( pretty wet from morning dew ) two weeks in a row now.
The lawn looks GREAT ( no clumps or problem of any kind ) and after cutting today I looked underneath and there wasn't a blade of grass stuck underneath. Don't go crazy searching or waste your money looking for a plug......you don't need one for a great mulching job.....maybe that's why Honda quit making them.

KC_kid

Threads
The mulching plug is no longer made for the HR214 or HR215 Honda. I have been bagging grass for over 20 years and got tired of it and lost a bid for a mulching plug and two mulching blade kits last week which went for $157.00.....best bid I ever lost. I ordered the mulching blade kit ( comes without a plug ....you get a heavy metal spacer, two bolts, two special spring washers, and a mulching blade which mounts above your regular blade.....you should change your regular blade while you're at it ) and just in case I ordered a side-shooter adapter.....I DIDN'T NEED THE SIDE SHOOTER ADAPTER.
Removed bolts and old blade and blade holder......cleaned everything good and installed mulching blade kit and also new lower blade. Took off rear bag and cut my wet lawn ( pretty wet from morning dew ) two weeks in a row now.
The lawn looks GREAT ( no clumps or problem of any kind ) and after cutting today I looked underneath and there wasn't a blade of grass stuck underneath. Don't go crazy searching or waste your money looking for a plug......you don't need one for a great mulching job.....maybe that's why Honda quit making them.

I can't hardly mulch my yard with my HR215... it leaves a trail of thatch along the left side. I don't have a plug, I thought of trying to fab up my own to see if it will help with the thatch. This is the only thing I have to complain about this mower because I HATE BAGGING!

Henry47

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can't hardly mulch my yard with my HR215... it leaves a trail of thatch along the left side. I don't have a plug, I thought of trying to fab up my own to see if it will help with the thatch. This is the only thing I have to complain about this mower because I HATE BAGGING!

According to the paperwork that comes with the blade you're supposed to mulch-cut a lawn counter clockwise....in this manner if there was thatch on the left you would mulch it on the next pass ( I haven't seen any though ). I think the mower was designed as a bag type.....the design is such that if you side shoot, it shoots to the left where every non bag side shooter I've owned shot to the right ( might be the reason for the counter clockwise recommendation ).
As recommended I use high RPM and med to slow advance ( I use #2 speed ) and cut an inch or so of grass.....they don't recommend cutting wet grass but I did twice with no problem and recently did a dry cut which was fine.
My front lawn is St Aug and my back is a mixture.
Try the above and see how you make out.

KC_kid

Threads
According to the paperwork that comes with the blade you're supposed to mulch-cut a lawn counter clockwise....in this manner if there was thatch on the left you would mulch it on the next pass ( I haven't seen any though ). I think the mower was designed as a bag type.....the design is such that if you side shoot, it shoots to the left where every non bag side shooter I've owned shot to the right ( might be the reason for the counter clockwise recommendation ).
As recommended I use high RPM and med to slow advance ( I use #2 speed ) and cut an inch or so of grass.....they don't recommend cutting wet grass but I did twice with no problem and recently did a dry cut which was fine.
My front lawn is St Aug and my back is a mixture.
Try the above and see how you make out.

I read that about mulching counter-clockwise in the manual. I won't be cutting my grass counter-clockwise every time... I mow back and forth, and change directions each mowing, to keep the grass guessing and to create a pattern. In KC this time of year, we already have to cut our fescue twice a week... if I had to cut every 1" of growth I'd be cutting every 2 days. What sucks is that my old hand-me-down 15 year old craftsman push with a 20" deck and single blade would mulch it just fine and not leave any thatch. This Honda can't mulch hardly anything without leaving clumps everywhere. Very frustrating. Did I mention I hate bagging??

warrenw

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bid and won on two HR215 mulching plugs on ebay. I only need one:
the other is now back on ebay for $55.00 CDN

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IT is seldom the plug that causes windrows or clumps of grass behind when mulching with or without a mulch plug.
The most common reason is the grass is too wet to mulch.
After that is trying to mulch grass that is too high thus overwhelming the deck.
Down here in peak growing season mulchers oft have to mow every 2 to 3 days.
Mulching works best on dry grass that is around 3" to 4" and being cut 1" or less shorter.
People forget that the cut grass has to go somewhere it does not vanish into a parallel universe.
And not all grasses can be mulched, the broader the leaf the harder it is to mulch.