Were yours UP or Down... Property Taxes in todays mail...

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Were yours UP or Down... Property Taxes in todays mail...
Is it by accident that they show up the day AFTER Thanksgiving... Ugh... :frown:KennyV

lizard

Threads
Is it by accident that they show up the day AFTER Thanksgiving... Ugh... :frown:KennyV

Good Tax Deduction..........$5,500..........rates in:mad::eek: Aussie......

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Mine went DOWN a whole nine bucks...after 19 years of going up $50 to $110 every year...WOW. Lady across the road from us has been trying to sell her house for four years now, her price has gone from $199 grand to just under $150 grand, her taxes have gone up just like mine have and this year hers went down a whole five bucks.

Later on, I am going to post a rant about property taxes...thanks for giving me a foot in the door.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Now, about those taxes...I envy those who live in states where schools DO NOT get the bulk of their funding from property taxes. My current tab is about $3500 a year for taxes, and about two thirds of it go to support various educational institutions. AND WHY am I required to pay one dime to schools when nobody in my family attends them? My in-laws are in their 80's now, they are retired and Social Security provides the majority of their income. THey have had no children in the local school system since 1974 !!! And they still pay 2 grand a year to support the schools..WHY?? Let the people whose children are in the schools pay the tab, not property owners in general. I know that education is important, but there are many states that DO NOT get the bulk of their school funding from property taxes. It should be that way EVERYPLACE.

Now, another thing that galls me about property taxes...I own 11 acres with 450 feet of road frontage and a house that would sell for about 300 grand, thanks to all the sweat equity and improvements I have poured into the place over 21 years. When I moved here, the house was a 900 square foot shambles and an eyesore that had sat vacant for many years...now it's 2450 square feet of completely renovated home that is an asset to the neighborhood. Now, you can probably guess what happened to my property taxes over the years...because I put all that work and time into bettering the neighborhood, the local assessor has jacked my taxes up nearly 4X what they formerly were...now, suppose somebody purchased the lot next door, the absolute minimum size lot permissable, and build a run down crackerbox on the lot. Who would pay more in taxes? ME, OF COURSE. If I had kids, would they get better schooling than the kids next door? Would I get better police and fire protection than Mr. Crackerbox does? Would the county road commission maintain the 450 feet of road in front of me better than the 100 feet of roadfront next door? You can guess what my point is, by now. Property taxes, in my opinion, are the biggest swindle ever foisted onto the middle class in our nation. I would support an increase in the sales tax, rather than endure the unfair property tax system we currently have, as the primary means of raising local government revenue.

Thanks for letting me have my say.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
local assessor has jacked my taxes up nearly 4X what they formerly were...

Without a doubt property taxes are designed to prevent you from wanting to 'improve' any piece of realestate...

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Without a doubt property taxes are designed to prevent you from wanting to 'improve' any piece of realestate...

That is exactly what I mean...why are homeowners penalized because they want to improve their property? The family next door had the basement finished on their new house, of course they didn't bother to get permits, because they didn't want to get reassessed and pay higher taxes. And no permits mean no inspections, which means no permit income for the local township and county, and possibly work done not to code.

Doesn't that seem stupid...??? Why encourage such situations???:confused2:

173abn

Threads
my taxes went up,I live on a gravel road and might see a grader once a month.my kids are grown but I still pay for schools.The fire dept is voultneer and is 10miles away,I pay for some library I have no clue where it 's located a cemetary where I won't be buried ,my house and property is paid off except it really isn't cause of property taxes.If I don't pay them then the man takes my house and land and would throw me in the pokie for nonpayement.I save my federal tax return to pay my property tax!Is something wrong with this pitcure? russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
my taxes went up,I live on a gravel road and might see a grader once a month.my kids are grown but I still pay for schools.The fire dept is voultneer and is 10miles away,I pay for some library I have no clue where it 's located a cemetary where I won't be buried ,my house and property is paid off except it really isn't cause of property taxes.If I don't pay them then the man takes my house and land and would throw me in the pokie for nonpayement.I save my federal tax return to pay my property tax!Is something wrong with this pitcure? russ

As my dad in law says...we are being taxed to death...as my mom-in-law says, the Lord giveth, and the government taketh, taketh, taketh....

And now they are quarrelling about whether to renew the Bush tax c---OOPS, I almost got into the territory of the forbidden "P" word here...sorry 'bout that.....:laughing:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
More interesting to me than your question is the fact that only 7 people have post on this thread.

I agree with JDgreen in principle, however it easy to calculate the cost of public education but impossible to calculate the cost of nothing but private education or education but for the wealthy.
I would be less relcutant to pay for a school system that was at least adequate. I realize this is a gross generalization however our schools, those paid for by the taxes, are in disgraceful condition as a whole.
Thomas jefferson is one among many credited with purposful oragnization of the foundation of our public school system.
"Of all the views of this law [for public education], none is more important, none more legitimate, than that of rendering the people the safe as they are the ultimate guardians of their own liberty." --Thomas Jefferson

Back to taxes; Ever wonder how we as americans can be responsible for a 13 trillion dollar tax deficit?
I mean how much money is there anyway? Where does it come from? Ever wonder just how fragile is our economy and the stock markets. Why is it that wall street executives (bankers if you will) are entitled to bonuses commonly in excess of a million dollars annually? How hard is that job anyway?
It occured to me that my view of money must be quite different than thiers.
My vision/version of monetary theory is a result of the public school system "Nothing is certain other than death and taxes". I always considered money as something you folded up and put in your pocket or kept in the bank. Not long ago I handed the clerk a hundred dollar bill for groceries. She examined it, drew on it with her special pen, then called the junior manager on duty over to give his expert opinion. He looked at it quickly and decided it was counterfeit, it wasn't but it didn't matter, he believed it was. It was his belief that gave the note value, not mine. Up until this point I had not considered what I kept in my wallet as anything other than money, yet in this instance it had no value. It was only paper, no more valuable than the receipt I was given when I left the store.
The bill was an old one ,1976 series and these young people were not familiar with it as it had none of the anti-counterfiet measures tha new bills have.
I was confounded by this and was determined to learn more about money and it's origins. I found this video which was quite informative, long but well worth the time. It explains a lot, a lot about money. It interests me as to the implications regarding taxes and government.
Money As Debt

lizard

Threads
Do you pay Land tax and council rates or Both?...........as it can be very expensive in australia.
Born Free........Taxed to Death..........lol:eek: