Older Walker - Kohler 16hp replacement

lawncoaz

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Walker GHS in great condition, my only issue is my engine is shot! Everyone in the Walker World are telling me that I cannot find a replacement engine or resurfaced heads for that particular Kohler 16. Is there an after market dealer anyone is aware of? Or an inner-changeable engine that would mount on that model?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the model, spec and serial numbers for you Kohler engine. Can't give you any help without them.

lawncoaz

Forum Newbie
Threads
The motor is still in the mower so a serial number could be impossible to get but I do have a spec number. 711562 I hopt that helps

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All numbers should be on a visible decal on the engine. No need the remove the engine to. Get the numbers.

lawncoaz

Forum Newbie
Threads
The decals there but the numbers are gone. I have nothing but that spec number. Its a single valve Kohler Magnum 16. That's the only decal with lettering still good. That's all I can offer. I even called the Walker Dealer in Mesa and they wouldn't give me much help other than the spec number for that model.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only way I could figure out what engine you have is to see some pictures of the engine and the decal. Kohler makes a lot of different 16hp engines. If you have the Walker numbers, you could contact them, as they should have the numbers for the original engine.

veld

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please post the model, spec and serial numbers for you Kohler engine. Can't give you any help without them.

I also have an older Walker mower with a 16 hp Kohler Magnum engine Model # M16AQS, SPEC # 711562, Serial#2608900899

Do you know the correct replacement for this and where available, $?

Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The best way to find a replacement engine (Magnum is no longer available) is to contact a dealer who sells the brand of engine you would like to use. Kohler, Kawasaki, Briggs etc. The dealer can find you a replacement faster and easier.

cashman

Threads
Another option might be to see if Kohler still offers a short block and a carburetor for the 711562 spec? Those were real popular and some might still be around? I think maybe at one time Walker had a Kawasaki engine replacement kit for the M16S Kohler. Check with a Walker dealer.

veld

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another option might be to see if Kohler still offers a short block and a carburetor for the 711562 spec? Those were real popular and some might still be around? I think maybe at one time Walker had a Kawasaki engine replacement kit for the M16S Kohler. Check with a Walker dealer.

Dealers weren't helpful so I contacted Walker Tech's directly who told me replacements weren't available anymore and that substituting an alternate Kohler or other brand requires significant chassis changes which they advised against.

So I did a tear down of what I have and found the short block is OK. I ordered all the parts for a complete rebuild (crank, cam, piston, rod etc.). I'm expecting delivery of the back ordered parts from PartsTree tomorrow and hope that will do the trick.