Changing Honda tires...

bwdbrn1

Threads
Some folks may be aware of the fact that you can change the tires on the HR214/HR215 series of mowers when the rubber part wears out.

But not many know that with a little modification of the tires for the HR214/215, you can use the same tires on the HRR/HRS/HRT series of mowers. Frankly, the rubber on those mowers isn't as robust as the HR214/215, and often winds up looking like this...

With a little effort, they can look like this instead, and last much longer...

I'd heard of this being done, and tried it, but wasn't successful on my first try. Somebody with experience making the modification showed me how to make it work, and so here's what you do...

First you obviously have to get the old rubber off of the wheel. Use a utility knife and cut through the rubber and pull it off of the rim. It's very easy to do as the rubber isn't that thick.

Next, take the new tire for the HR215/215 and lubricate the inside of sidewall on the side with the two ridges. I just used some oil from the oil can.

Then using a brand new blade in your utility knife, cut around the sidewall inside the inner of the two ridges. Go slow and do it in 3 or 4 passes.

When your done with the cut, your tire will look like this and you can toss that sidewall you just cut out, or I suppose you could try to find something creative to do with it.

Now the fun part begins. Now you get to stuff the wheel into that tire. I put a liberal amount of dishwashing liquid on the wheel and the tire to help the two slip together.

Use small tire irons, screw driver, or some thing flat, and take small sections at a time and wiggle the tire onto the wheel.

On the backside of the wheel, tuck the edge of the sidewall into the outer side of the two rims.

This is so the new tire doesn't interfere with the dust cover.

When you're done, you'll have a tire wheel combination that'll last a good long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

fixter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello I have a HRM 215 and when the rear tires had no tred left I removed all four wheels and trimmed the plastic on the inner hub at the drive gear with a dremel then removed gears the carefully tapped them on the front wheels last step useing a large punch and hammer flaten plastic over gear and reinstall on rear then you end up with slicks on front and tred on rear they should get you a few more miles it took about 35 minutes to complete.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've done this swap and was very impressed. I have also use mountain bike tread on my toros I will never do anything different again. Amazing how much grip I get doesn't look pretty but it will last longer and give you good grip and power. Just be careful on turns

Trey T

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a HRR216K2TDA mower in need of new tire. Are all of the wheel/tire the same? Is there a guide to the Honda mower tire/wheel size? Where can I purchase the tire?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a HRR216K2TDA mower in need of new tire. Are all of the wheel/tire the same? Is there a guide to the Honda mower tire/wheel size? Where can I purchase the tire?

Can buy the stock ones from any home depot or Honda dealer. Comes with rim and tire just bolt on and good to go.

Trey T

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just want to buy the tire only that fits my mower. Any place that sells them for AROUND $5 each? HD sells complete wheel w/ bearing for $18 each and I got more time than money currently :)

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can replace the tire but nowhere near $5 hr215 tires can be trimmed to fit but they cost the same as the whole wheel and tire assy

Threads
I have the same mower (HRR216TDA) and just replaced the wheels. I got them at my local dealer for $5 cheaper than the $18 they were asking at Home Depot. :thumbsup:

mrghonda

Forum Newbie
Threads
Some folks may be aware of the fact that you can change the tires on the HR214/HR215 series of mowers when the rubber part wears out.

But not many know that with a little modification of the tires for the HR214/215, you can use the same tires on the HRR/HRS/HRT series of mowers. Frankly, the rubber on those mowers isn't as robust as the HR214/215, and often winds up looking like this...

With a little effort, they can look like this instead, and last much longer...

I'd heard of this being done, and tried it, but wasn't successful on my first try. Somebody with experience making the modification showed me how to make it work, and so here's what you do...

First you obviously have to get the old rubber off of the wheel. Use a utility knife and cut through the rubber and pull it off of the rim. It's very easy to do as the rubber isn't that thick.

Next, take the new tire for the HR215/215 and lubricate the inside of sidewall on the side with the two ridges. I just used some oil from the oil can.

Then using a brand new blade in your utility knife, cut around the sidewall inside the inner of the two ridges. Go slow and do it in 3 or 4 passes.

When your done with the cut, your tire will look like this and you can toss that sidewall you just cut out, or I suppose you could try to find something creative to do with it.

Now the fun part begins. Now you get to stuff the wheel into that tire. I put a liberal amount of dishwashing liquid on the wheel and the tire to help the two slip together.

Use small tire irons, screw driver, or some thing flat, and take small sections at a time and wiggle the tire onto the wheel.

On the backside of the wheel, tuck the edge of the sidewall into the outer side of the two rims.

This is so the new tire doesn't interfere with the dust cover.

When you're done, you'll have a tire wheel combination that'll last a good long time.

What you called the "fun part" didn't work for me. Soap, screw drivers, etc. No success. Any suggestions?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
What you called the "fun part" didn't work for me. Soap, screw drivers, etc. No success. Any suggestions?

Heat... I did mine in winter I had a propane heater in my shop I put the rubber next to that let it warm up it slid on like a glove