Repairs Starting Problem - help?

Sandkap

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Silver Eagle LT2000 mower and new to the forum.

Got it used, changed all fluids and filters and it's worked great for two years until about 4 weeks ago.

Now when I start the engine, it turns over but doesn't fire. I replaced the fuel filter, no change.
I pulled each plug, inspected (a little black but nothing I would not expect) each, had my wife turn over while I fired it against the housing. Both plugs fired.
Replaced both plugs, the mower started right away.

Parked for one week then exactly the same thing. Pulled the plugs, fired against the block/housing, reinstalled, engine starts.

I've done this about 3 times now. Last week, I had to pull each plug twice before it started. After it's running, and I turn off the engine, it will re-start. Only after it sits do I have a problem.

The nature of the problem leads me to believe it's electrical. I'm no gearhead, but if someone can point me in the direction, I think I can track it down.

Any help much appreciated!

Threads
Welcome to the Forum!.. I am not sure about your question but I bet someone will be able to help you.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums...

Try to short cut your troubleshooting... Get a spray can of starter fluid (ether)...
The Next time it fails to start, spray a generous shot into the carb at the air cleaner...
Since you are seeing spark, I am going to be leaning toward a fuel problem...
There is one other thing I can think of, but check with the substute fuel first.
IF it starts with the ether, it is likely a fuel problem. :smile:KennyV

Sandkap

Forum Newbie
Threads
Makes sense, thanks KennyV. I'll reply with result ASAP.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with Kenny, except for one thing. I use carb cleaner instead of ether. I feel ether is to dry and removes the oil coating on the cylinder walls. Carb cleaner works just as good and is not as dry.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree with Kenny, except for one thing. I use carb cleaner instead of ether. I feel ether is to dry and removes the oil coating on the cylinder walls. Carb cleaner works just as good and is not as dry.

Definitely true... I just didn't want to give him the idea that spraying some carb cleaner, as a starting aid, was actually going to clean anything...
A steady diet of ether will not be good for any engine... :smile:KennyV

Sandkap

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good news, I think.

The carb cleaner trick worked, it started up with the first turn of the key. Once it fired, it remained running steady.

By the way, when I pulled the air cleaner, I could definitely smell fuel in the carb - after it's not run for several days but I did try to start it yesterday. Not sure if that tells you anything.

Does any of this tell you anything?

Again, thanks for the assist so far.

Steve

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check to see if the choke is closing fully on starting.

Sandkap

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll show my ignorance here.

When the choke is correctly fully closed should it literally close, that is go from open at horizontal to closed at vertical? I ask because I noticed the choke moves very little when the lever is moved, maybe from horizontal to 30 degree above horizontal.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It should be almost closed. Adjust the control cable so it will close as much as possible, tighten the clamp, then check to see that it Moses to open when you reverse the control.