Chipper Recommendations?

Green Girl

Threads
Does anyone own a yard chipper?? We live on treed property. We leave it pretty natural, but there is some routine grooming and maintenance required. I'm thinking a chipper would be a good thing for turning the debris into usable material. Any recommendations?

grnspot110

Threads
I found a 5 HP Merry Mac chipper/shredder on Ebay for $67 a couple of years ago. Then last year found a slightly used Troy Bilt 10 HP (3") chipper /shredder on CL for about 1/2 new price. I kept the Merry Mac to use to shred green garden waste (with the screen out). The Troy Bilt is used for chipping branches & shredding dry leaves. For chipping branches, I wouldn't go any smaller than a 10 HP unit. ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• Picture 183.jpg
    Picture 183.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 6
  • GARDEN TRACTORS 670 (Small).jpg
    GARDEN TRACTORS 670 (Small).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 5

AndyMan

Threads
My dad used to have a chipper, and he would grind up anything and everything. I was always terrified of it, because I thought it would gnaw his arm off. I could really use one, but haven't looked at them because I have young kids, and I remember how scared I was of my dad's.

173abn

Threads
I have a pto powered one that hooks on my tractor.If you own a tractor that might be the way to go,if not a unit with at least a 10hp engine if you intend to chip branches.the one I have chips and grinds. russ

Harriet

Threads
My sister and brother-in-law have one. They always give me this beautiful mulch that they make from all their yard scraps when they clean up in the spring. I'll bet you could find a good deal on one at this point in the season.