riding mower has six gears but speed doesnt change

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / riding mower has six gears but speed doesnt change
I oiled the heck out of mine and it helped some. I, too, would like to know how to free it up all the way. I can pull the pedal out with my hand and get all 6 speeds, but it won't stay out long and goes back to turtle speed.
i'm wondering if a new clutch spring would cure the ill. I would like to spend my time on something else at this point.

No, a new clutch spring won't cure the ill. What will cure the ill is free the variable sliding portion so it travels free the full designed distance with the belts removed. This may require removing the assembly to correct the problem. The one I repaired for a neighbor several years ago even needed new bearings. That was after I made a oak wedge to drive between the sheave sections plus some heat required to free it.

In my opinion what causes so many of these to have problems is:

1) the operator is so accustomed to using a clutch to change gears/speeds. Just don't touch the clutch after motion, both forward or revers. Only use the clutch to stop.

2) the unit remains in the ratio that's used to mow for the most of its life. Bad idea, occasionally exercise the system from speeds 1-6 or 7 while in motion, no clutch.

barefootmower

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, a new clutch spring won't cure the ill. What will cure the ill is free the variable sliding portion so it travels free the full designed distance with the belts removed. This may require removing the assembly to correct the problem. The one I repaired for a neighbor several years ago even needed new bearings. That was after I made a oak wedge to drive between the sheave sections plus some heat required to free it.

In my opinion what causes so many of these to have problems is:

1) the operator is so accustomed to using a clutch to change gears/speeds. Just don't touch the clutch after motion, both forward or revers. Only use the clutch to stop.

2) the unit remains in the ratio that's used to mow for the most of its life. Bad idea, occasionally exercise the system from speeds 1-6 or 7 while in motion, no clutch.

S.C., you are spot on about the variable pulley. I didn't feel much like working on a lawn mower today, but during my break time I thought about what you said, and went to work in the heat again.
I managed to spray about a third of a can of Kroil on the shaft of the pulley. I let that set for about 30 minutes. Voila! The clutch pedal started working much better. After working the shift lever over and over with the motor running, nice things began to happen.
I can actually see the pulley moving up and down. So, test run was good, but have to help the pedal come up. The speed is good through all six settings, but they need just a little aid from my foot.
I'm still slowing down on upgrades. I'm thinking a new belt is in order, unless there is something else I can try.
It always helps me to "fix" stuff if I know sort of how it works. You helped a bunch with riding mower 101. Thanks!

willgoodman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I talked to a local mtd dealer and this model has some kind of auto adjustment to the gears by putting it in neutral, in 6th gear and letting out the clutch. This re-aligns everything. I should have read the sticker on the inside of the hood that explains it. But im glad i didnt have to mess with the belts and pulleys and linkage and pulling my hair out...

Thanks a lot for your post. First my upper belt fell off. After I put it on, there was no speed and crawling. I wished it could finish the job. But the upper belt broke just before mowing the half of the lawn. I went to Lowes and bought a brand new one. After putting the new one on, it was still crawling. But it finished the mowing without any issue. Then I spend a few days on investigating the issue. After reading your post, I wanted to try and found out that the instruction is on the mower. :laughing: I attached the pictureIMG_7839.jpg